Mission Operations Engineer - Altius
Atlanta, GA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, August 2, 2022
Anduril Industries is a defense technology company with a mission to transform U.S. and allied military capabilities with advanced technology. By bringing the expertise, technology, and business model of the 21st century’s most innovative companies to the defense industry, Anduril is changing how military systems are designed, built and sold. Anduril’s family of systems is powered by Lattice OS, an AI-powered operating system that turns thousands of data streams into a realtime, 3D command and control center. As the world enters an era of strategic competition, Anduril is committed to bringing cutting-edge autonomy, AI, computer vision, sensor fusion, and networking technology to the military in months, not years.
Area-I, Inc., an Anduril Company, Inc. is a metro-Atlanta-based company dedicated to proving the impossible possible with the development of state-of-the-art unmanned aircraft systems. We specialize in the development of unmanned aircraft systems that launch from host platforms or modular launch systems to enable on-demand mission capabilities otherwise not available. Our platforms are designed to meet the demanding and agile needs of our customers from design, build, test, and ultimate delivery of unique capabilities. Area-I’s customers include the U.S. Air Force, U.S. Navy, U.S. Army, NOAA, NASA and other defense industry partners.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
The Mission Operations team is responsible for managing the execution, growth, and success of our client accounts. Working across product, engineering, sales, and logistics teams, our Mission Operations Engineers own the client relationships and develop, plan, and deploy Anduril and Area-I products in support of their missions. They work side-by-side with clients to understand their specific problem sets and then shape Area-I’s offerings alongside our engineering teams to fit the mission needs. Because the problems we solve are uniquely challenging, our Mission Operations Engineers naturally gravitate toward finding solutions and are adept at navigating organizational hurdles. They are ultimately responsible for client and mission success and therefore play a critical role in the shaping and future of Area-I and Anduril Industries.
- Orchestrate the deployment of Area-I products. Lead the planning and deployment of Area-I’s flagship products in support of client missions. Through collaboration with our engineering, logistics, and technical operations teams, Mission Operators are in charge of deploying our products to the field, training end users, and ensuring the high performance of our products. We are obsessed about engagement and keeping our finger on the pulse of how clients interact with our products. This helps us improve the user experience and evolve their operational tactics and techniques. And if something isn’t quite right, we work with product teams to quickly address the issue on behalf of our client.
- Grow your business through client success. In addition to the operational and executive relationships you own, you will be responsible for meeting commercial targets that drive top line growth. This requires establishing committed and trust-based partnerships with our clients to not only help them solve their immediate problems, but also to foresee future opportunities where Area-I’s technology can make them more effective. Understanding Area-I’s value proposition and articulating how we can have an impact on a client’s problem set, from the executive level to the end user, is critical to positioning Area-I for the future.
- Shape our products to meet mission needs. Work side-by-side with our clients to understand their specific mission challenges and represent the client as you work with Anduril and Area-I engineers to shape products that solve critical national and international security challenges. Engineers rely on Mission Operators to understand the lay of the land and bring a perspective that informs the product development process.
- Collaborate across nearly every Anduril and Area-I team. Successfully deploying our complex hardware and software products requires collaborating with nearly every internal team - engineering, product, logistics, finance, legal, contracting, technical operations, and many more. You’ll be responsible for ensuring each party is engaged and informed, and will therefore become well-versed in what it takes to really bring the best of our products to our clients.
- Mission First Mindset. We put the needs of the mission and our clients first and understand that the US and its allies have no preordained right to victory in any future conflict. We actively seek out opportunities to better understand our clients’ mission needs, with a goal to build the best possible products for the warfighter and radically evolve our national and international defense capabilities. We push ourselves and the limits of our capabilities in the pursuit of this goal.
- Ownership Mentality. We’re looking for owners; those who have a natural bias to assume responsibility, a healthy dose of skepticism, and contribute to a culture of performance. We empower our Mission Operators to quickly assume high levels of responsibility and entrust them to actively own their account and shape its success. Our Mission Operators are just as comfortable helping to shape a proposal or pitch a new client as they are working with engineers on new features or deploying products in the field.
- Technical Aptitude and Intellectual Curiosity. We are first and foremost a technology company, working at the leading edge of capabilities like machine learning, autonomy, distributed networking, and multi-modal sensor fusion. Do you have a natural desire to see beyond simple cause and effect relationships to really understand how complex systems operate? Do you actively seek out opportunities to educate yourself? These capabilities form the foundation of our product offerings, so we are looking for those who are comfortable communicating technical concepts and can articulate them in the context of the client’s mission.
- Structured Thinker and Problem Solver. Leading technical programs requires clear communication and well thought-out plans. We are looking for assertive communicators who bring a thoughtful perspective and honest dialogue. A solution-driven approach, the ability to distill complexity into its essential, digestible components, and the ability to supervise execution are critical to ensure mission success.
- Diversity & Inclusion. Our mission is reshaping our world. And at the heart of our mission is our people. Their diversity is our strength. They reflect the world in which we do business and the communities in which we live. We celebrate diversity and welcome applications from people of all walks of life, and encourage you to confidently share your unique experiences with us.
- High Value Team Member. Do you enjoy working as part of a team? At Anduril and Area-I, the path to success weaves through the organization - account teams, engineering, logistics, technical operations, and more. It requires humility, an eagerness to learn, and empathy toward your fellow team member. We assume best intentions and empathize with clients just as we do with our colleagues. Can you develop rapport at both the user and executive levels? Do you enjoy sharing successes? We are a low ego group that promotes teamwork and collaboration to bring about success.
- 360 Degree Leader. We are a flat, non-hierarchical organization with a matrix structure that is dynamic and evolving. We expect you to be self-aware enough to recognize your position of unstated leadership within the company. You should have a demonstrated ability to lead and influence people through both formal and informal constructs and in situations where there is lack of clarity across teams. Finally, we need people who identify gaps and breakdowns and solve them immediately, rather than point them out and step back. You should also seek 360 feedback to help inform your growth trajectory as a leader.
- Experience with programming, scripting, or networking a plus
- Prior military or contracting experience can be helpful
- PMP or similar certifications a plus
- Travel up to 75%
- U.S. Person status is required as this position needs to access export controlled data
Area-I is an equal-opportunity employer, and we encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. If you are someone passionate to work on problems that matter, we’d love to hear from you!
The salary range for this role is an estimate based on a wide range of compensation factors, inclusive of base salary only. Actual salary offer may vary based on (but not limited to) work experience, education and/or training, critical skills, and/or business considerations. Highly competitive equity grants are included in all offers and are considered part of Anduril’s total compensation package. Additionally, Anduril offers top-tier benefits, including comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans, employee life and disability, mental health and family planning benefits with all premiums paid by Anduril. Anduril provides fully paid medical leave, paid company holidays, and paid time off. A professional development stipend is available to all Andurilians and all on-site meals are fully subsidized during the work week through use of our gourmet kitchens. The recruiter assigned to this role can share more information about the specific compensation and benefit details associated with this role during the hiring process.
Anduril is an equal-opportunity employer committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. The Anduril team is made up of incredibly talented and unique individuals, who together are disrupting industry norms by creating new paths towards the future of defense technology. All qualified applicants will be treated with respect and receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, uniform service, Veteran status, age, or any other protected characteristic per federal, state, or local law, including those with a criminal history, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the CA Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance. We actively encourage members of recognized minorities, women, Veterans, and those with disabilities to apply, and we work to create a welcoming and supportive environment for all applicants throughout the interview process. If you are someone passionate about working on problems that have a real-world impact, we’d love to hear from you!
See more open positions at Anduril Industries
Something looks off?