Mission Software Engineer - Maritime
Quincy, MA, USA
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2023
Anduril Industries is a defense technology company with a mission to transform U.S. and allied military capabilities with advanced technology. By bringing the expertise, technology, and business model of the 21st century’s most innovative companies to the defense industry, Anduril is changing how military systems are designed, built and sold. Anduril’s family of systems is powered by Lattice OS, an AI-powered operating system that turns thousands of data streams into a realtime, 3D command and control center. As the world enters an era of strategic competition, Anduril is committed to bringing cutting-edge autonomy, AI, computer vision, sensor fusion, and networking technology to the military in months, not years.
Anduril is fielding the next generation of Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (AUVs) to tackle the extremely challenging industry demands of seabed exploration. Anduril has brought to the market a unique, ultra-long-range, full-ocean-depth platform and a completely refreshed maritime vehicle and flexible manufacturing architecture that scales from "large" to "extra-large" vehicle sizes. Today, Anduril is executing on multi-million-dollar contracts while simultaneously performing Robot-as-a-Service (RaaS) AUV operations.
As a Mission Software Engineer on the Maritime Software team, you own the architecture and deployment of software solutions that support specific customer missions. Your efforts ensure that Anduril products seamlessly work together to achieve a variety of critical outcomes.
You expand the meaning of ‘full stack developer’ as you support our backend and frontend engineers while managing distributed edge compute and raw sensor requirements. Some days you write code to add a mission-critical feature to an existing product. Some days you go to the field to coordinate real-world testing of your new feature with other supporting product teams. Some days everything works beautifully. Some days nothing works and you have to figure out what’s broken.
As a mission capability evolves from crazy-idea to demo to pilot to program of record, you advance the software solution to the appropriate level of functionality and robustness. You work with Robotics Software Engineering so that gaps are not just duct-taped over but actually fixed at the core.
Through every stage, you collaborate with and are supported by a variety of teams in engineering, operations, and business development. You make messy real world data understandable. Technical Operations works closely with you to scale deployment setup, monitoring, and support. You work closely with account managers, product managers, and product teams to prioritize limited resources across ambitious goals and timelines.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Own the software solutions that are deployed to customers
- Write code to improve products and scale the mission capability to more customers
- Collaborate across multiple teams to plan, build, and test complex functionality
- Create and analyze metrics that are leveraged for debugging and monitoring
- Triage issues, root cause failures, and coordinate next-steps
- Empathize with end-users to turn needs into features while balancing user experience with engineering constraints
- Travel up to 20% of time to build, test, and deploy capabilities in the real world
- Engineering background from industry or school, ideally in areas/fields such as Computer Science, Software Engineering, Mathematics, or Physics
- 3+ years of C++ experience in a Linux development environment
- 1+ years building software solutions involving significant amounts of data processing/analysis
- Ability to quickly understand and navigate complex systems and established code bases
- A desire to work on critical software that has a real-world impact
- An ability to obtain a Security clearance (Secret, Top Secret, TS with SCI, or equivalent)
- Experience with Sensor fusion and device integration in environments with C++
- Build tooling: Nix/CMake
- Exposure to deployment tooling like NixOS/Kubernetes
- Prior experience and/or demonstrated interest in AI/Robotics in one or more of the following areas: motion planning, sensor fusion, probabilistic decision making, computer vision, or machine learning
The salary range for this role is an estimate based on a wide range of compensation factors, inclusive of base salary only. Actual salary offer may vary based on (but not limited to) work experience, education and/or training, critical skills, and/or business considerations. Highly competitive equity grants are included in all offers and are considered part of Anduril’s total compensation package. Additionally, Anduril offers top-tier benefits, including comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans, employee life and disability, mental health and family planning benefits with all premiums paid by Anduril. Anduril provides fully paid medical leave, paid company holidays, and paid time off. A professional development stipend is available to all Andurilians and all on-site meals are fully subsidized during the work week through use of our gourmet kitchens. The recruiter assigned to this role can share more information about the specific compensation and benefit details associated with this role during the hiring process.
Anduril is an equal-opportunity employer committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. The Anduril team is made up of incredibly talented and unique individuals, who together are disrupting industry norms by creating new paths towards the future of defense technology. All qualified applicants will be treated with respect and receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, uniform service, Veteran status, age, or any other protected characteristic per federal, state, or local law, including those with a criminal history, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the CA Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance. We actively encourage members of recognized minorities, women, Veterans, and those with disabilities to apply, and we work to create a welcoming and supportive environment for all applicants throughout the interview process. If you are someone passionate about working on problems that have a real-world impact, we’d love to hear from you!
See more open positions at Anduril Industries
Something looks off?