Quincy, MA, USA
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2023
Anduril Industries is a defense technology company with a mission to transform U.S. and allied military capabilities with advanced technology. By bringing the expertise, technology, and business model of the 21st century’s most innovative companies to the defense industry, Anduril is changing how military systems are designed, built and sold. Anduril’s family of systems is powered by Lattice OS, an AI-powered operating system that turns thousands of data streams into a realtime, 3D command and control center. As the world enters an era of strategic competition, Anduril is committed to bringing cutting-edge autonomy, AI, computer vision, sensor fusion, and networking technology to the military in months, not years.
Anduril is fielding the next generation of Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (AUVs) to tackle the extremely challenging industry demands of seabed exploration. Founded in 2018 by a group of experts in the AUV industry, Anduril has brought to the market a unique, ultra-long-range, full-ocean-depth platform and a completely refreshed maritime vehicle and flexible manufacturing architecture that scales from “large” to “extra-large” vehicle sizes. Today, Anduril is executing on multi-million-dollar contracts for the US Navy and DARPA while simultaneously performing Robot-as-a-Service (RaaS) commercial surveys. Anduril is a well-funded, venture-backed team with over 100-years of combined AUV experience.
As our team continues to quickly grow, we are looking for motivated candidates that are inspired to work within an extremely energetic, creative, and innovative team that is passionate about subsea robotics and exploring the open ocean. We work in a highly dynamic environment where collaboration and idea sharing are a way of life.
Anduril’s Maritime Manufacturing team is seeking a Manufacturing Engineer to join our team. The Maritime Manufacturing Team is responsible for rapidly iterating and building cutting-edge Autonomous Underwater Vehicles. This responsibility includes Design for Manufacturability , tool design & selection, process creation & optimization, vendor sourcing & interaction, quality planning, and work documentation associated with the hardware that the Manufacturing Engineer owns.
What You’ll Do
- Own a portion or all of the manufacturing value chain for a certain product or set of products
- Write documentation required for successfully manufacturing their hardware at scale, such as work instructions, quality plans, inspection requirements, etc.
- Develop process flows, breaking down large, complex assemblies into a logical part flow of subassemblies and sub-processes
- Work with contract manufacturers across various disciplines (PCBA fab, metallic manufacturing, assembly, etc.) to develop repeatable, sustained processes for quick-turn development as well as at-scale production
- Work with technicians and other engineers in a hands-on fashion building prototype hardware
- Develop novel tooling solutions for fabrication and assembly of structural parts
- Contribute to end-customer hardware mechanical or electrical design, including interconnects, board fabrication and inspection, etc.
- Travel to suppliers to do initial sourcing work, solve ongoing production issues, and implement quality procedures
- Degree in a technical field such as engineering, math, or a hard science
- 2+ years of experience in a relevant field, preferably manufacturing or design of electromechanical hardware
- Demonstrated ability to deliver electromechanical hardware to spec in a start-up environment
- Demonstrated in-kind or direct team leadership skills, with backing examples
- Personal experience physically manufacturing hardware via any means (machining, fabrication, soldering, assembly, etc.) Work on personal or extracurricular projects is a plus.
- Extremely organized and detail-oriented
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills
- Has a never-ending sense of urgency and enthusiasm
- Eligibility to obtain a U.S Security Clearance (status not required at time of hire)
- Experience in sub-sea robotics (AUVs, UUVs, underwater sensors/equipment)
- Experience working with electrical systems up to 400VDc
- Subsea cable splicing or fabrication experience
- Experience with pressure vessels and/or pressure systems/equipment
- Prior experience working with JIRA, Teamcenter (PLM), or NetSuite (ERP) or equivalents
- Experience with large scale low volume / high mix manufacturing
Although we list out what we generally look for, we are very likely missing other attributes and skills that you have that could make you a great fit, but are not currently listed. Research has shown this especially applies to women and other marginalized groups, who tend to apply if they check 100% of every box, versus men who apply if they hit roughly 60%. The point we’re getting at, it doesn’t hurt to take a chance and apply!
The salary range for this role is an estimate based on a wide range of compensation factors, inclusive of base salary only. Actual salary offer may vary based on (but not limited to) work experience, education and/or training, critical skills, and/or business considerations. Highly competitive equity grants are included in all offers and are considered part of Anduril’s total compensation package. Additionally, Anduril offers top-tier benefits, including comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans, employee life and disability, mental health and family planning benefits with all premiums paid by Anduril. Anduril provides fully paid medical leave, paid company holidays, and paid time off. A professional development stipend is available to all Andurilians and all on-site meals are fully subsidized during the work week through use of our gourmet kitchens. The recruiter assigned to this role can share more information about the specific compensation and benefit details associated with this role during the hiring process.
Anduril is an equal-opportunity employer committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. The Anduril team is made up of incredibly talented and unique individuals, who together are disrupting industry norms by creating new paths towards the future of defense technology. All qualified applicants will be treated with respect and receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, uniform service, Veteran status, age, or any other protected characteristic per federal, state, or local law, including those with a criminal history, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the CA Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance. We actively encourage members of recognized minorities, women, Veterans, and those with disabilities to apply, and we work to create a welcoming and supportive environment for all applicants throughout the interview process. If you are someone passionate about working on problems that have a real-world impact, we’d love to hear from you!