Lead Flight Test Engineer - Flying Qualities
Costa Mesa, CA, USA
Posted on Sunday, July 9, 2023
Anduril Industries is a defense technology company with a mission to transform U.S. and allied military capabilities with advanced technology. By bringing the expertise, technology, and business model of the 21st century’s most innovative companies to the defense industry, Anduril is changing how military systems are designed, built and sold. Anduril’s family of systems is powered by Lattice OS, an AI-powered operating system that turns thousands of data streams into a realtime, 3D command and control center. As the world enters an era of strategic competition, Anduril is committed to bringing cutting-edge autonomy, AI, computer vision, sensor fusion, and networking technology to the military in months, not years.
The Test and Evaluation team at Anduril works across the entire spectrum of products ranging from Lattice, Ground and Airborne Sensor Systems, Ghost UAS, Sentry Tower, counter UAS, VTOL aircraft, weapons systems, and other platforms. Our team conducts full system-level development testing, new production acceptance testing, sub-component qualification testing and much more. In short, if it involves test, we support it.
This position is looking for a highly motivated test engineer with emphasis in performance and flying qualities of new, development aircraft. If you are interested in working in an extremely innovative and fast paced environment, where your work directly makes an impact and difference in the products that are fielded this a fantastic opportunity.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Plan and execute system-level T&E of hardware and software with emphasis placed on conducting lab, ground, and flight test, resource planning, initial issue investigation, and process improvement/development.
- Act as test engineer for new, large unmanned aircraft to include performing development test lead responsibilities for one or more aircraft systems and/or functional areas.
- Collect test data and perform initial data analysis for the system under test.
- Work closely with Engineering to develop requirements, discuss test results, to include collected data and observations.
- Conduct ground and flight testing at private and government-owned test ranges
- Work in a safe manner in accordance with established operating procedures and practices.
- Graduate of a recognized test pilot school, a Bachelor's degree in Aerospace Engineering, a degree in related technical discipline from an accredited institution, or 10+ years of experience as test conductor/director for developmental aircraft, to include large UAS, weapons or missile systems.
- Ability to travel as required to support flight test execution and programmatic requirements
- Extensive experience as a test conductor/test director for manned or large unmanned developmental aircraft, to include high-risk flight test events, and operations conducted within a traditional control room environment.
- Early envelope expansion flight test experience from the test conductor position to include performance and flying qualities.
- Proficient in the use of IADS, MATLAB, or similar programs.
- Provided direct support in the authoring of flight test reports, aircraft technical publications to include flight manuals, and the presentation of flight test findings at technical reviews.
- Must have a complete understanding of engineering concepts, principles, codes, and theory; experience demonstrating a broad application of those concepts; and, expanding knowledge of principles, concepts, theory, and practices in related technical specialties.
- Must possess the ability to understand new concepts quickly; apply them accurately; organize, schedule, and coordinate work phases; and determine the appropriate approach at the task or project level to provide solutions to a range of complex problems.
- Previous expertise and working knowledge of the National Airspace System and UAS operating rules and regulations thereof.
- Strong computer and documentation experience.
- Must have strong communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Has demonstrated experience implementing and exercising sound critical thinking skills in a demanding environment
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team; able to perform complex tasks in one or more engineering areas.
- Able to work extended hours as required.
- Must possess and be able to maintain an active U.S. Top Secret security clearance
- Bias for action – if you see a problem, you want to solve and fix it
- Experience on a team that executed first flight on a manned or large unmanned developmental aircraft.
- Experience working with the Department of Defense (DoD)
- Fixed Wing and / or Rotorcraft Private Pilot License
The salary range for this role is an estimate based on a wide range of compensation factors, inclusive of base salary only. Actual salary offer may vary based on (but not limited to) work experience, education and/or training, critical skills, and/or business considerations. Highly competitive equity grants are included in all offers and are considered part of Anduril’s total compensation package. Additionally, Anduril offers top-tier benefits, including comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans, employee life and disability, mental health and family planning benefits with all premiums paid by Anduril. Anduril provides fully paid medical leave, paid company holidays, and paid time off. A professional development stipend is available to all Andurilians and all on-site meals are fully subsidized during the work week through use of our gourmet kitchens. The recruiter assigned to this role can share more information about the specific compensation and benefit details associated with this role during the hiring process.
Anduril is an equal-opportunity employer committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. The Anduril team is made up of incredibly talented and unique individuals, who together are disrupting industry norms by creating new paths towards the future of defense technology. All qualified applicants will be treated with respect and receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, uniform service, Veteran status, age, or any other protected characteristic per federal, state, or local law, including those with a criminal history, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the CA Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance. We actively encourage members of recognized minorities, women, Veterans, and those with disabilities to apply, and we work to create a welcoming and supportive environment for all applicants throughout the interview process. If you are someone passionate about working on problems that have a real-world impact, we’d love to hear from you!