Senior Mission Software Engineer, Space
Anduril Industries is a defense technology company with a mission to transform U.S. and allied military capabilities with advanced technology. By bringing the expertise, technology, and business model of the 21st century’s most innovative companies to the defense industry, Anduril is changing how military systems are designed, built and sold. Anduril’s family of systems is powered by Lattice OS, an AI-powered operating system that turns thousands of data streams into a realtime, 3D command and control center. As the world enters an era of strategic competition, Anduril is committed to bringing cutting-edge autonomy, AI, computer vision, sensor fusion, and networking technology to the military in months, not years.
As a Senior Mission Software Engineer for our Space team, you own the architecture and deployment of software solutions that support specific customer missions. You expand the meaning of ‘full stack developer’ as you touch backend and frontend cloud components as well as distributed edge compute and raw sensors. Some days you write code to add a mission-critical feature to an existing product. Some days you go to the field to coordinate real-world testing of your new feature with other supporting product teams. Some days everything works beautifully. Some days nothing works and you have to figure out what’s broken. As a mission capability evolves from crazy-idea to demo to pilot to program of record, you advance the software solution to deliver a real-world product. You will dive in to understand and then integrate with legacy systems that have been part of our nation’s critical defense for decades.
This role is directly tied to an ongoing, funded program within Anduril’s Space Business Line. The program requires building and fielding a resilient, software-defined, distributed mesh networking layer for critical Space Domain Awareness data. We work with mission partners and operators to deploy reliable and robust capabilities on operationally-relevant fielding timelines to meet complex challenges across the DOD and IC.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Own the software solutions that are deployed to customers
- Integrate with legacy systems to unlock 21st-century capabilities
- Write code to improve products and scale the mission capability to different users more customers
- Collaborate across multiple teams to plan, build, and test complex functionality
- Create and analyze metrics that are leveraged for debugging and monitoring
- Triage issues, root cause failures, and coordinate next-steps
- Empathize with end-users to turn needs into features while balancing user experience with engineering constraints
- Travel up to 50% of time to build, test, and deploy capabilities in CONUS and OCONUS locations
- Strong engineering background from industry or school, ideally in areas/fields such as Computer Science, Software Engineering, Mathematics, or Physics.
- 3+ years building software solutions involving mathematical modeling and/or significant integrations with an emphasis on system reliability and uptime
- Ability to quickly understand and navigate complex systems and detailed requirements
- Capable of solving complex technical problems with little oversight
- Clear communication and organizational skills including documentation and training material
- An active security clearance (Secret, Top Secret, TS with SCI)
- Experience with Python, Go, Rust, or C++
- Experience with deployment tooling like Kubernetes, OpenShift, or Helm
- A desire to work on critical software in the space domain
WHAT WE VALUE IN MISSION SOFTWARE
- Customer Facing - Mission Software Engineers are the software engineers closest to Anduril customers, end-users, and the technical challenges of operational scenarios.
- Mission First - Above all, MSEs execute their mission in an expedient, scalable, and pragmatic way. They keep the mission top-of-mind and make pragmatic and thoughtful engineering decisions to deliver successful outcomes.
- Small Project Wrangling = Large Project Impact - Our MSEs are the voice of our business line(s). They are the forcing function that gets us to think about how a project will transition to production and tie in to the centralized functions across the business.
- Embrace Challenge (and follow through) - We take responsibility for achieving the mission; Developing technical self-sufficiency across a wide range of environments. Ruthlessly prioritizing, while honing our ability to understand large systems and incorporate new components in varying levels of complexity.
The salary range for this role is an estimate based on a wide range of compensation factors, inclusive of base salary only. Actual salary offer may vary based on (but not limited to) work experience, education and/or training, critical skills, and/or business considerations. Highly competitive equity grants are included in all offers; and are considered part of Anduril’s total compensation package. Additionally, Anduril offers top-tier benefits, including comprehensive Medical, Dental, and Vision Plans, employee life and disability, mental health and family planning benefits with all premiums paid by Anduril. Anduril provides fully paid medical leave, paid company holidays, and Paid Time Off. A professional development stipend is available to all Andurilians, and all on-site meals fully subsidized during the work week with gourmet kitchens. The recruiter assigned to this role can share more information about the specific compensation and benefit details associated with this role during the hiring process.
Anduril is an equal-opportunity employer committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. The Anduril team is made up of incredibly talented and unique individuals, who together are disrupting industry norms by creating new paths towards the future of defense technology. All qualified applicants will be treated with respect and receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, uniform service, Veteran status, age, or any other protected characteristic per federal, state, or local law, including those with a criminal history, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the CA Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance. We actively encourage members of recognized minorities, women, Veterans, and those with disabilities to apply, and we work to create a welcoming and supportive environment for all applicants throughout the interview process. If you are someone passionate about working on problems that have a real-world impact, we’d love to hear from you!