Costa Mesa, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, September 18, 2021
Anduril Industries is a defense technology company with a mission to transform U.S. and allied military capabilities with advanced technology. By bringing the expertise, technology, and business model of the 21st century’s most innovative companies to the defense industry, Anduril is changing how military systems are designed, built and sold. Anduril’s family of systems is powered by Lattice OS, an AI-powered operating system that turns thousands of data streams into a realtime, 3D command and control center. As the world enters an era of strategic competition, Anduril is committed to bringing cutting-edge autonomy, AI, computer vision, sensor fusion, and networking technology to the military in months, not years.
Designing thermal systems for Anduril products requires a delicate balance of hand calculations, thermal FEA, multiphysics modeling, systems thinking, and test verification. Combining this hardware skillset with Anduril’s core capability in distributed computing, robust networking, AI, and onboard computer vision puts us in a unique position for market entry in a variety of product verticals. If you are passionate about solving hard technical problems that have a tangible and lasting impact, Anduril is the place for you!
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Own the thermal system of a hardware development program, probably for a system with a combination of radiation, conduction, and convection
- Use first principles as a basis for every decision and discern the right level of analysis to apply. Execute hand calculations, spreadsheet, and MATLAB/Python first order models to inform path forward before jumping into detailed design.
- Define good thermal architecture that meets requirements and complies with standards such as MIL-STD-810 to ensure designs are robust in nature
- Work with EEs to document power dissipations under different operating modes. Combined with boundary conditions, define hot, cold, and any other edge cases that need to be analyzed
- Communicate pros/cons of system architecture with respect to thermal considerations
- Own the thermal FEA / CFD model and predict component temperatures
- Define red/yellow design limits for test and flight
- Define and execute prototype builds and tests to verify thermal designs (do CAD, select sensors and DAQ equipment, post-process data, summarize results, etc.)
- Present thermal status at formal reviews internally and with customers. Technical status, risk tracking, inputs to program planning, etc.
- Provide thermal inputs to build out lab space and infrastructure
- Support mechanical, electrical, and software team’s development efforts with necessary thermal inputs
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in engineering or applied physics with focus on heat transfer and fluid dynamics
- Deep understanding of heat transfer and fluid dynamics
- 2+ years of experience designing thermal systems for integrated hardware products
- Practical experience designing passive and active thermal management systems
- Thermal testing experience –sensor selection, data acquisition, data post processing (Python preferred)
- Thermal FEA experience –STAR-CCM+, Flotherm, Icepak, or ANSYS
- CAD design experience with Solidworks or Siemens NX
- Highly motivated, self-starting, and able to perform duties autonomously without supervision
- Passion for defending the United States and her allies
- U.S. Person status is required as this position needs to access export controlled data
- Experience with battery pack / cell analysis and thermal design
- Experience with multiphysics analysis
- Experience developing code in higher level languages like Python or MATLAB for things like lumped thermal capacitance steady state and transient analysis
For Full Time Employment Opportunities: The salary range for this role is an estimate based on a wide range of compensation factors, inclusive of base salary only. Actual salary offer may vary based on (but not limited to) work experience, education and/or training, critical skills, and/or business considerations. Highly competitive equity grants are included in all offers and are considered part of Anduril’s total compensation package. Additionally, Anduril offers top-tier benefits, including comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans, employee life and disability, mental health and family planning benefits with all premiums paid by Anduril. Anduril provides fully paid medical leave, paid company holidays, and paid time off. A professional development stipend is available to all Andurilians and all on-site meals are fully subsidized during the work week through use of our gourmet kitchens. The recruiter assigned to this role can share more information about the specific compensation and benefit details associated with this role during the hiring process.
Anduril is an equal-opportunity employer committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. The Anduril team is made up of incredibly talented and unique individuals, who together are disrupting industry norms by creating new paths towards the future of defense technology. All qualified applicants will be treated with respect and receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, uniform service, Veteran status, age, or any other protected characteristic per federal, state, or local law, including those with a criminal history, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the CA Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance. We actively encourage members of recognized minorities, women, Veterans, and those with disabilities to apply, and we work to create a welcoming and supportive environment for all applicants throughout the interview process. If you are someone passionate about working on problems that have a real-world impact, we’d love to hear from you!