Bastrop, TX, USA
Posted on Thursday, November 3, 2022
The Boring Company was founded to solve the problem of soul-destroying traffic by creating an underground network of tunnels. Today, we are creating the technology to increase tunneling speed and decrease costs by a factor of 10 or more with the ultimate goal of making Hyperloop adoption viable and enabling rapid transit across densely populated regions.
- Support the design of structures of tunnel boring machines and associated support equipment through.
- Develop finite element models to perform linear and non-linear structural analysis of various welded steel structures.
- Act as a subject matter expert for finite element analysis, providing assistance and direction to other team members as needed.
- Make recommendations for structure edits, material changes or weld reduction.
- Develop structural concepts and perform preliminary sizing using classical mechanics calculations and Finite Element Analysis (FEA) to meet stiffness, strength and other critical requirements.
- Employ competent use of judgment, hand calculations, FEA and CAD to develop and communicate designs.
- Own project schedule to ensure timely completion from conception to implementation.
- Communicate schedule to stakeholders and others with dependent systems, bringing attention to changes in schedule as they happen.
- Constantly evaluate how the system fits into the larger picture of a working operation. Ensure that design choices are in line with the top level needs with ample consideration of future developments.
- Ensure all systems are compliant with appropriate regulations such as MSHA, OSHA, NEC, NFPA, Class 1 Division 2 Hazardous Location.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering (or similar).
- 3+ years of experience in Mechanical Engineering role or relevant position.
- Experience in the structural analysis methods and documentation, weld sizing, bolted joints, and buckling.
- Proficiency in developing and resolving complex load cases induced by the tunnel boring machine or ground pressures.
- Experience in linear static and non-linear structural analysis using FEA tools such as ANSYS Mechanical, Solidworks Simulation, SimSolid, etc.
- Understanding of common steel fabrication methods such as rolling, bending welding, machining, and waterjet cutting.
- Hands-on hardware experience performing fabrication, assembly and/or testing - can be in a professional, academic or recreational setting.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- Strong teamwork skills with a proven ability to effectively interact and collaborate with other engineering disciplines.
- Knowledgeable in mechatronics, mechanism design, fluid power system concepts and design, dynamics, material selection, testing methods, and common machining and fabrication processes.
- Acute attention to detail.
- Willing to travel to job sites as required to commission & develop new designs, as well as troubleshoot and problem solve existing designs.
- Ability to work long hours and weekends as necessary.
We're a team of dedicated, smart, and scrappy people. Our employees are passionate about our mission and determined to innovate at every opportunity.
We offer employer-paid medical, dental, and vision coverage, a 401(k) plan, paid holidays, paid vacation, and a competitive amount of equity for all permanent employees.
The Boring Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with The Boring Company is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
See more open positions at Boring Company
Something looks off?