Senior Mechanical Engineer
Bastrop, TX, USA
Posted on Tuesday, October 13, 2020
The Boring Company was founded to solve the problem of soul-destroying traffic by creating an underground network of tunnels. Today, we are creating the technology to increase tunneling speed and decrease costs by a factor of 10 or more with the ultimate goal of making Hyperloop adoption viable and enabling rapid transit across densely populated regions.
- Lead the design of various systems and sub-systems related to operations such as boring machine parts, support systems, support system equipment, passenger/construction vehicles and tunnel infrastructure.
- Act as a subject matter expert for mechanical design projects, providing assistance and direction to other team members as needed.
- Employ competent use of judgment, hand calculations, FEA and CAD to develop and communicate designs.
- Own project schedule to ensure timely completion from conception to implementation.
- Communicate schedule to stakeholders and others with dependent systems, bringing attention to changes in schedule as they happen.
- Constantly evaluate how the system fits into the larger picture of a working operation. Ensure that design choices are in line with the top level needs with ample consideration of future developments.
- Ensure all systems are compliant with appropriate regulations such as MSHA, OSHA, NEC, NFPA, Class 1 Division 2 Hazardous Location.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- 6+ years of experience in Mechanical Engineering role or relevant position.
- Hands-on hardware experience performing fabrication, assembly and/or testing - can be in a professional, academic or recreational setting.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- 9+ years of experience, including 2+ years in a Senior or Team Lead position.
- 2+ years of experience in creating manufacturing drawings and reviewing drawings before release.
- Strong teamwork skills with a proven ability to effectively interact and collaborate with other engineering disciplines.
- High level of proficiency in machine design.
- Knowledgeable in mechatronics, mechanism design, fluid power system concepts and design, dynamics, material selection, testing methods, and common machining and fabrication processes.
- Acute attention to detail.
- Willing to travel to job sites as required to commission & develop new designs, as well as troubleshoot and problem solve existing designs.
- Ability to work long hours and weekends as necessary
Reporting Location: Bastrop, Texas - Headquarters
We're a team of dedicated, smart, and scrappy people. Our employees are passionate about our mission and determined to innovate at every opportunity.
We offer employer-paid medical, dental, and vision coverage, a 401(k) plan, paid holidays, paid vacation, and a competitive amount of equity for all permanent employees.
The Boring Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with The Boring Company is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
See more open positions at Boring Company
Something looks off?