RIA Controller, Coinbase Asset Management
At Coinbase, our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web3 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
Coinbase is looking for a highly motivated accounting professional to serve as the Controller for the recently acquired Coinbase Asset Management (CBAM) business. This business is a SEC registered investment advisor and is a premier institutional digital asset manager. This acquisition aligns with our long-term strategy to unlock further opportunities for institutions to participate in the crypto economy.
Reporting to the Global Corporate Controller, you will be responsible for leading the accounting and compliance activities for Coinbase Asset Management (“CBAM”). In this role you will partner with the business and act as an accounting advisor on compliance, technical accounting topics and provide other finance insights. The ideal candidate will possess a solid knowledge of US GAAP, compliance requirements for an SEC registered investment advisor and a working knowledge of fund accounting. The candidate will combine this with exceptional soft skills necessary to be successful in this role including: being able to manage through ambiguity, executing against tight deadlines, maintaining strong relationships with finance and business partners and able to manage multiple deliverables simultaneously, doing whatever it takes to get the job done.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Manage accounting operations for CBAM including monthly close, account reconciliations and ensuring compliance with US GAAP
- Liaise with the fund controller to review and record management fees from funds under management and manage expense allocations in accordance with fund agreements
- Lead compliance activities as necessary based on the requirements for an SEC registered investment advisor
- Prepare monthly and quarterly financial results presentations for CBAM management
- Analyze data against business drivers to identify trends / issues.
- Stay informed on industry pronouncements, emerging trends, and developments in accounting, SEC regulations, and fund accounting practices, and collaborate with cross-functional teams to provide accounting insights and recommendations.
- Prepare the annual US GAAP financial statements for CBAM and lead annual audit processes
- Partner with other members of the accounting team to implement new accounting standards, changes in accounting policies or to operationalize the accounting for new or modified products.
- Ensure compliance with internal controls, policies and procedures in line with Coinbase global requirements and assist in the design and implementation of new controls and processes.
- Ensure the internal controls related to CBAM are designed, implemented and operating effectively for SOX compliance.
- Review new fund structures and assess accounting and SAB 121 implications, advising the business on how to optimize the accounting outcomes
- Streamline, automate, maintain & improve processes, systems and internal controls. Enhance operational effectiveness and efficiency of the Controllership organization.
- Support management in completing special projects as assigned
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- Advanced knowledge of US GAAP, Sarbanes-Oxley, and COSO.
- Advanced knowledge of reporting and compliance requirements for an SEC registered investment advisor.
- Experience in fund accounting
- Experience in serving as a trusted finance and accounting advisor to business executives
- Ability to work cross-functionally to obtain all relevant facts, understand the business requirements, articulate the accounting requirements and communicate the conclusions reached.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Exceptional organizational skills, timeline management skills and attention to detail.
- A desire to work in a fast growing, exciting and agile business.
Nice to haves:
- Knowledge of blockchain technology and the crypto economy.
- Experience working in Netsuite, FloQast and G-Suite
Job #: P51255
Pay Transparency Notice: Depending on your work location, the target annual salary for this position can range from $144,500 to $170,000+ target bonus + target equity + benefits (including medical, dental, vision and 401(k)).
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Know Your Rights notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations[at]coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required. For US applicants only, by submitting your application you are agreeing to arbitration of disputes as outlined here.
Something looks off?