Senior Data Scientist
At Coinbase, our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web3 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
Data Science is an integral component of Coinbase’s product and decision making process: we work in partnership with Product, Engineering and Design to influence the roadmap and better understand our users. With a deep expertise in experimentation, analytics and advanced modelling, we produce insights which directly move the company’s bottom line.
Specifically, we’re looking for a Senior Data Scientist to join our Coinbase (CB) International team. CB International is part of the Consumer team. As a senior data scientist you will be working closely with multiple squads that are collectively working towards expanding Coinbase’s growth in international markets. Sample projects include building out growth models, creating and mapping input metrics to various squads, devising experimentation frameworks to measure incrementally, and utilising blockchain data to unlock new product opportunities
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Devise testing plan to better understand key product metrics and inform product strategy.
- Act as a strategic partner to functional teams: initiate and execute deep analyses and models to help prioritise opportunities and provide actionable recommendations.
- Build new analytics and machine learning models that improve both our insights and the product directly.
- Measure business performance, develop / refine core metrics and create reporting to understand and monitor them.
- Synthesise data learnings into compelling stories and communicate them throughout Coinbase and to senior executives.
- Initiate, develop, and maintain data pipelines and data models with outstanding craftsmanship.
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- Demonstration of our core cultural values: clear communication, positive energy, continuous learning, and efficient execution.
- Understanding of statistical concepts and experience in applying them.
- Related, understanding of experimentation best practices and concepts (e.g., incrementality, cannibalization, etc.)
- Experience in data analyses using SQL.
- Experience in at least one programming language (preferably Python).
- Ability to independently create plans for analytics projects and a track record of overseeing large / complex analytical projects spanning multiple teams.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience. 5+ years relevant experience, or a PhD degree in related fields + 2 years.
Nice to haves:
- Previous experience working in crypto is a plus.
- Domain experience in product, marketing, growth, and/or other business analytics areas.
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Know Your Rights notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations[at]coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required. For US applicants only, by submitting your application you are agreeing to arbitration of disputes as outlined here.