Molten Salt Pump Technical Lead
Devens, MA, USA
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2022
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
ARC will be the first machine to produce electricity from fusion energy, serving as the cornerstone to a new industry. ARC will strongly leverage the work that’s been done for SPARC in developing HTS magnets and other key tokamak systems. However, because of its mission to deliver power to the grid, the ARC tokamak has several systems not included on SPARC. The ARC group within R&D is a growing team that is delivering key scientific and engineering results to push the Technology Readiness Level (TRL) of these new enabling technologies higher.
ARC will use a fluoride-based molten salt as the blanket working fluid. The Molten Salt Pump Technical Leader will deliver molten salt pumps that meet ARC requirements by developing a technical roadmap, planning and executing projects that span research, design, prototype and test validation. The tech lead will be responsible for recruiting and leading technical team members to perform in-house design analysis, fabricate prototypes, gather and interpret test data.
This team member will:
- Plan and execute molten salt pump development campaign
- Deliver working molten salt pumps for ARC
- Ensure rapid execution of design-build-test-learn cycles and retirement of technical risks
- Identify external partners (industry, government and/or academia) to support and accelerate pump development, oversee such collaborations
- Lead the consolidation and interpretation of test data
- Recruit and mentor technical team and impart design and engineering best practices
- Provide technical guidance to engineers and technicians through the different phases of the molten salt pump development program
- Manage external collaborations and ensure that technical deliverables are met on time
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline
- Experience leading the development of pump from design to manufacturing
- Experience testing and validating pump performance
- Hands-on engineering experience with fluid systems and rotating machines
- Great communication and organizational skills
- Knowledge of resource estimation and projection
- Strong time management skills
- Self - motivation and autonomy
Additional experience and/or qualifications:
- Graduate degree in an engineering discipline (preferred)
- Experience managing technical team of engineers and technicians
- A demonstrated history of participation in or leading the delivery of bespoke hardware systems
- Knowledge of hydrodynamics of pumps, pump sizing and conceptual design, interpreting data from pump tests
- Knowledge of rotordynamics and bearing selection
- Experience with utilizing University, International/National Laboratory, and/or outsourced testing and research organizations
- Perform activities such as standing, and sitting for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate hazards that may include heat, cold, strong magnets, and molten salt
- Willingness to occasionally travel 10% or work required nights/weekends/on-call
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.