Industrial Robotics Expert
Devens, MA, USA
Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2022
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
ARC will be the first machine to produce electricity from fusion energy, serving as the cornerstone to a new industry. The ARC vacuum vessel and internal components will periodically need replacement due to damage from fusion plasma and nuclear bombardment. This process will involve draining the molten salt tank, splitting the core tokamak apart (including superconducting magnets), removal of the worn-out vacuum vessel, replacement of the vacuum vessel, temporarily sequestering activated materials, rejoining of the core tokamak, performing QA/QC, and refilling of the molten salt tank. Because this is an activated environment, essentially all of these activities will need to be performed with industrial robots especially designed for the task.
This team member will:
- Identify and manage technology gaps and risks for robotic component replacement and maintenance for ARC
- Work with CFS R&D and Open Innovation to identify and execute on opportunities to close gaps and retire risks
- Collaborate closely with ARC engineers on component replacement and maintenance issues with their systems
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Robotics, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or related field
- Worked on at least 3 industrial robotics projects from design through deployment, preferably as a technical lead
- Human-machine interfaces for teleoperation
- Robotic welding and cutting
- Radiation effects in electronics
- Mechanisms for repeatable, precise alignment of heavy objects
- Techniques for remote operation of cranes or other heavy lifting equipment
Additional preferred experience and/or qualifications:
- Robotics in extreme environments (e.g. nuclear, space, high temperature, corrosive)
- System integration of multiple classes of remote maintenance tools
- Ability to perform activities such as typing and sitting for extended periods of time
- Willingness to do occasional travel
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.
See more open positions at Commonwealth Fusion
Something looks off?