Senior Nuclear & Radiological Engineer
Devens, MA, USA
Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2022
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
Generating net energy plasmas in the SPARC tokamak will involve a skilled team of physicists and engineers designing, building, and operating the tokamak and its many systems. The Nuclear & Radiological Engineer (NRad Engineer) tracks, studies, and engineers the cascade of high energy neutrons, photons, and charged particles generated from DD and DT fusion. NRad Engineers work with multiple engineering disciplines and get to know every part of the SPARC tokamak.
The NRad Engineer is responsible for the delivery of radiation transport analyses to support the design, construction, and licensing of the SPARC fusion device. Discovery of issues and energetic pursuit of solutions is expected from each team member.
For this position, we are open to remote work with monthly travel to Devens, MA.
This team member will:
- Develop analytical solutions for a range of technical challenges to support all SPARC systems related to the nuclear engineering technical areas including radiation transport, shielding design, nuclear heating, and far-field dose calculations.
- Perform analysis related to neutronics modeling, radiological engineering, design, and operational health physics.
- Be accountable for the quality and accuracy of the previously mentioned work, reports, and presentations.
- Provide prompt feedback when a task encounters issues that preclude its timely completion.
- Comply with CFS design control processes, including but not limited to: Documenting analyses in written files; Arranging for check and review of analysis files through submission to M-Files; Upholding high standards of good-faith collaboration and teamwork
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- 5+ years of work experience in the field of nuclear engineering, preferably with diverse applications related to radiation transport. (This includes performing calculations that include shielding analyses, dosimetry, nuclear heating etc.); Masters or PhD with 3+ years of work experience
- Must be able to obtain RSICC License for MCNP
- Experience with both deterministic and Monte Carlo methods of neutron/photon transport
- Strong analytical skills with fundamental understanding of the first principles of transport methods and nuclear data
- Experience with the following: Python, FORTRAN, C++, Linux
- Experience with common nuclear engineering software, such as MCNP, OpenMC, FISPACT, ATTILA, SCALE, ORIGEN, etc.
- Knowledge of various nuclear codes and standards
- Strong interpersonal and technical communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community as well as foster a cooperative work environment
Additional preferred experience and/or qualifications:
- Ability to do activities such as typing or sitting for extended periods of time
- Willingness to travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call occasionally when asked
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.
See more open positions at Commonwealth Fusion
Something looks off?