I&C Systems Engineer
Commonwealth Fusion Systems
Devens, MA, USA
Posted on Friday, November 4, 2022
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
The SPARC Engineering team are looking for a talented Instrumentation & Control (I&C) systems engineer, experienced in the design and construction of large industrial facilities. You will initially provide systems engineering support to the I&C engineering teams. You will be responsible for systems engineering and activities related to specification, design, and construction engineering within the I&C and electrical discipline. This is to include leading the definition and implementation of the processes for planning, sequencing, assembling, and issuing of I&C construction work packages. You will work closely with engineers across the project on field verification of materials, monitoring construction progress, response to questions by constructors and providing direction in the field to ensure construction is in compliance with engineering documentation.
This team member will:
- Provide systems engineering support to the I&C engineering teams.
- Assist in the development of I&C system requirements in the DOORS NG database.
- With input from the engineering team, perform FMECA/HAZOPs on SPARC I&C systems.
- Assist in the review any changes affecting SPARC systems for impact to scope, schedule, cost, performance, or interfacing systems.
- Coordinate and manage tokamak and plant system grounding schemes.
- Coordinate with engineering on constructability and design issues relating to the I&C discipline.
- Assist in the development of other system deliverables such as commissioning workflows, operational concepts, etc.
- Identify the content of I&C engineering document packages (Work Packages) required to support construction activities in the field.
- Plan, sequence, assemble, and issue I&C construction work packages.
- Responsible for tracking, reporting, and forecasting I&C activities in the field.
- Establish strong working relationships with the engineering teams responsible for the various process, electrical, I&C systems to facilitate conversion of engineering/design to physical plant.
- Review material receiving reports and warehousing to assure delivery of correct I&C materials.
- Support the construction quality program.
- Provide additional support as needed.
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant engineering or science field (e.g., electrical, mechanical, systems, industrial, etc.)
- 3+ years of experience in systems engineering
- Experience working in the development of large integrated and complex systems, preferably fusion, accelerator, aerospace, etc.
- General knowledge of mechanical, electrical, and process systems
- Attention to safety
- Strong interpersonal and technical communication skills
- Ability to understand technical documentation including process, mechanical and electrical drawings, testing requirements and specifications
Additional preferred experience and/or qualifications:
- Have an understanding of tokamak systems
- Ability to perform activities such as typing, standing, and sitting for extended periods of time
- Willingness to adhere to safety protocols for hazards such as heat, fumes, noise, and strong magnets
- Willingness to travel occasionally or do required nights/weekends/on-call
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.