Electrical Engineer - Fusion Diagnostics
Devens, MA, USA
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2022
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
As an electrical engineer on the diagnostics team, you will work with a team of engineers and scientists to ensure that the diagnostics are able to meet engineering requirements in order to measure the behavior of the plasma and the fusion device within the uniquely harsh environment of SPARC. This role will consist of electrical design, integration, commissioning, and operation of the diagnostics. Key challenges will include minimizing electromagnetic interference and radiation effects on diagnostic systems as well as developing custom electronics to survive the unique harsh environment of SPARC. While we love to hear from candidates with plasma and fusion experience, we specifically encourage candidates who have worked on similarly difficult problems in aerospace, aviation, automotive, and robotics to apply.
This team member will:
- Lead the design of custom electrical components in support of multiple SPARC diagnostics
- Take diagnostic concepts to detailed, cost-effective designs, prototypes, and production units by working side-by-side with scientists and engineers in the SPARC team
- Work with the SPARC I&C team to solve shared integration challenges
- Debug technical issues that arise during the testing of SPARC diagnostics
- Provide hands-on support for diagnostic assembly and calibration
- Contribute to a strong safety culture while helping to commission and operate SPARC diagnostics
- Grow expertise that helps CFS build a core competency in electrical measurement tools that can deliver future fusion devices optimized for power production
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- 3+ years professional electrical engineering experience
- A fundamental understanding of electromagnetism and its application to electrical systems and electronics
- Experience designing and troubleshooting analog electronics, amplifier circuits, and filters, including PCB design (Altium)
- Hands-on experience designing and testing electrical components used in analytical instrumentation, scientific diagnostics, or process monitoring
Additional preferred experience and/or qualifications:
- Familiarity with hazards relevant to electrical systems, including high-voltage equipment
- Familiarity with circuit modeling software such as LTSpice and/or signal processing in Python/Matlab/C++ (or equivalent)
- Attention to detail with an ability to pivot between topics multiple times per day
- An ability to clearly express and critique ideas
- An emphasis on elegance and simplicity over complexity
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs occasionally
- Perform activities such as stooping, climbing, typing, standing, and sitting, for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate hazards that may include heat, cold, and strong magnets
- Willingness to occasionally travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.
See more open positions at Commonwealth Fusion
Something looks off?