IT, Accounting & Finance
Devens, MA, USA
Posted on Saturday, March 4, 2023
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
The FP&A function acts as the operating financial arm of the company. We ensure that each team has timely and accurate information on budgets, resourcing and actual results. We help leaders make informed decisions and operate with cost efficiency and continuous improvement in mind.
This role will be the fifth hire on the FP&A team. Their primary function will be to manage financial performance against budget and develop robust forecasts for the purpose of reporting to management and budget owners and informing important business decisions. A successful candidate will directly interact with, and influence, leaders to set plans, assess actual performance results, make informed forward-looking forecasts and aid in decision-making. In addition, they will play a critical role improving CFS’s business analytic tools, in collaboration with other analysts and engineers across the business.
This team member will:
- Track and report on financial performance to executives and other business leaders
- Support in making capital allocation decisions
- Work closely across the internal organization (Purchasing, Engineering, Project Management, Design, IT, Manufacturing and Quality) to ensure SPARC cost is modeled accurately and delivered on target
- Query the data from our growing Enterprise Application suite and transform it into actionable business intelligence that help deliver SPARC faster and cheaper
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance, Accounting, Economics or STEM fields
- Experience with budget development, results reporting, forecasting and financial analysis to support operational decision-making
- 1-3 years of experience working at a fast growing technology company
- Strong Excel and SQL experience
- High energy and engagement, with flexibility to complete work during periodic very busy times
- Excellent verbal and written communication & data presentation skills, including the ability to effectively communicate with both business and technical teams
- Collaborative work style
Additional preferred experience and/or qualifications:
- Deep understanding of Enterprise Applications (e.g., ERP, MES, etc) and their underlying data architecture
- Demonstrated ability to deliver low-maintenance Business Intelligence (BI) reporting (e.g, Tableau)
- Appreciation for the business problem sets unique to manufacturing and R&D environments
- Familiarity with Python or similar programming languages
- Track record of collaborating with other teams on building and sharing analytic tools, including use of version control systems like git
- Ability to perform activities such as typing and sitting for extended periods of time
- Willingness to do occasional travel
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.