Senior Quality Engineer - Electrical
Other Engineering, Quality Assurance
Devens, MA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2023
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
CFS is seeking a highly motivated Senior Quality Engineer with electrical background to lead Quality Assurance function of assigned systems from design to operation stage of the SPARC project. This will include collaboration with a highly talented cross functional team of Design, R&D, Supplier Quality and Manufacturing engineers to establish and verify quality requirements to assure product quality.
The successful candidate will have general electrical industry knowledge and experience pertinent to the product standards, inspection/test methods, manufacturing methods and quality planning.
This team member will:
- Lead and facilitate the creation of Quality Assurance, Inspection and Testing requirements for the procurement of internally designed or specified components based on engineering requirements.
- Collaborate with engineering and manufacturing functions to ensure quality standards are in place.
- Review various Design output documents (drawings, specs., etc.) to verify sufficient quality controls are in place.
- Devise and implement methods and procedures for inspecting, testing and evaluating the precision and accuracy of product performance and properties.
- Review Design information and support creation of detailed installation and assembly instructions to document quality critical characteristics.
- Develop receiving and in-process inspection and test procedures as required.
- Collaborate with Quality Control to ensure receiving inspection is timely completed.
- Promptly escalate non-conformances and conduct 8D Root Cause Analysis and implement Corrective Actions.
- Control quarantined products in MRB and ensure dispositions are carried out as planned.
- Assist in development of final SOP’s for assigned systems to ensure quality controls are maintained during operation of assigned systems.
- Support procurement activities as required from technical quality requirements standpoint.
- Travel on occasion to vendor facilities to mitigate quality related issues.
- Conduct process audits during installation and commissioning phases as required.
- Support ISO 9001:2015 implementation through training and audits.
- Prepare and publish Monthly Quality Dashboards for assigned systems.
- Provide oversight on high priority Quality Inspections for the project.
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- BS in Electrical Engineering (or similar engineering or technical 4 year degree with relevant experience)
- Minimum 5 years of Quality Engineering experience in supporting electrical and control systems
- Experience with Magnet Field Generation and Control Systems.
- Experience with Diagnostic Systems.
- Experience with other various electrical or I&C systems.
- Experience with electrical diagnostics and troubleshooting tools
- Knowledge of IEC, UL, NEC & IEEE
Additional experience and/or qualifications:
- ISO 9001-2015
- Six Sigma, Statistical Process Control (SPC), Process Capability Analysis, PFMEA, Measurement System Analysis (MSA)
- Reliability Engineering
- Minitab or JMP, MS Excel (including VBA), MS Visio
- Excellent communication and organization skills
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs occasionally
- Perform activities such as typing, standing, and sitting, for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate hazards that may include heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, lead, high voltage, and cryogenics
- Willingness to occasionally travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call or long hours
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.
See more open positions at Commonwealth Fusion
Something looks off?