Instrumentation and Control Team Lead - Tokamak
Devens, MA, USA
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2023
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
CFS seeks a high performing engineer to manage a critical instrumentation and control team for the SPARC tokamak. You will lead a group of engineers designing instrumentation and control systems for the tokamak device, magnets, and RF systems. SPARC tokamak instrumentation must work in extreme environments – cryo temperatures, extreme magnetic fields, high neutron and gamma flux. Your system manages megawatts of power and gigajoules of stored energy at sub-millisecond control cycles. Your team’s technical expertise includes instrumentation selection, mechanical design, printed circuit board design, control system design, testing, and integration. You will work closely with engineers in the tokamak, magnet, RF, and software teams. This is a dynamic role that requires high impact leadership, speed, ownership, and technical integrity.
This team member will:
- Develop and lead the team responsible for tokamak instrumentation and control systems
- Design, build, test, and deliver control systems for the SPARC tokamak
- Detailed hardware designs for control system racks, cabling, printed circuit boards, and other control system hardware
- Coordinate with system owners to verify and analyze instrumentation and control system requirements
- Commission SPARC instrumentation and control systems leading to fusion operations
- Set priorities, establish schedules, and supply technical guidance to your team
Preferred experience and/or qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant engineering or science field (e.g., software, electrical, mechanical, etc.)
- Altium or similar electrical board design tools
- NX or similar mechanical design tools
- Experience with wire harness design and build
- Hands-on proficiency with power supplies, multimeters, oscilloscopes, and other lab electrical equipment
- Scripting or engineering software development for test applications and data review – Python, Matlab, or equivalent
- Experience in a demanding yet exhilarating work environment
- Perform activities such as stooping, climbing, typing, standing, or sitting for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate hazards that may include heat, cold, noise, and strong magnets
- Willingness to travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call occasionally
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.
See more open positions at Commonwealth Fusion
Something looks off?