Controls Engineer - Robotics Specialist
Devens, MA, USA
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2023
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
As a Controls Engineer, you will be responsible for developing machine and process concepts in collaboration with Manufacturing and Mechanical Engineering peers. You will create a robust system architecture to support all controls components such as robotic manipulators, PLCs, safety devices, HMIs, servo drives, and more. For each project you will work from initial design all the way through commissioning, process fine-tuning, and validation to ensure that all systems function reliably and meet their design goals. Additionally, you will work closely with cross-functional teams throughout the entire life cycle of the product and processes.
This team member will:
- Participate in initial equipment conceptual development and balance product specifications, process control requirements, layout complexity, cost, quality, and leadtime limits
- Specify, select, and program robotics systems for material handling, laser welding, tig welding, mig welding, material removal, part assembly, part inspection, and subtractive manufacturing
- Write, and debug PLC ladder logic with an emphasis on generating code that is organized, structured, documented, maintainable, and reusable. PLC code will interact with subsystems such as conveyors, robots, machine vision, and 3rd party equipment
- Implement (ANSI/RIA15.06/OSHA compliant) control reliable safety systems for safeguarding robots, gantries, conveyors, and other high volume manufacturing equipment.
- Generate aesthetically simple HMI screens for complex machinery while providing sufficient feedback for troubleshooting.
- Introduce automated processes into production, and train Maintenance and Production Teams to support after deployment into production.
- Create machine interactions with plantwide SCADA to communicate product acceptability, machine status, and process variables.
- Debug and optimize automated processes to maximize cycle time, improve availability, and yield.
- Characterize and validate automated processes using a datadriven approach such as simulation, Capacity and Capability statistical test (Gage Repeatability and Reproducibility test, Cpk, etc)
- Create data management and tracking communications network architecture and interface with crossfunctional teams for product, processes, and quality traceability control implementation
- Provide coverage or partial coverage for second shift as required
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Bachelor's in Electrical, Mechanical or Mechatronics Engineering
- At least 3 years of experience in Controls Engineering or related field
- Proficiency with process integration and electromechanical/mechatronic systems
- Experience programming articulated robots to execute complex tasks and integrate with other systems is required.(Yaskawa/Motoman preferred)
- Knowledge of robot tooling and selection as well as ability to consult on robot end effector design
- In-depth knowledge of Electrical Standards (NFPA79, National Electric code, UL508A)
- In-depth knowledge of Safety standards (ANSI/RIA15.06, OSHA)
- Experience programming industrial equipment, including safety PLCs, HMI/GUI (Ignition), field bus networks (Ethernet, ProfiNet, EtherCat and Safety rated field bus networks), and communications between machine PLCs and database systems
- Ability to program state machines for complex processes that involve multistation parallel processing, pick and place automation, data acquisition, and PID control. Proven ability to design fault-tolerant systems with error handling and recovery
- Proficiency programming and tuning variable frequency drives
- Exposure to a wide variety of production machinery, industrial sensors, and equipment (CNC and pressure transducers, dispense systems, temperature controllers, torque controllers, VFD, etc)
- Experience transitioning products and processes from prototype to production is desired
- Openness to travel, facilitating installations and handoff to cross-functional team members
Additional preferred experience and/or qualifications:
- Beckoff PLC programming experience is a plus.
- Experience with Vision systems (Cognex, Keyence, Fanuc) is a plus.
- Knowledge of production quality metrics is a plus.
- Ability to use 3D CAD packages such as with SiemensNX is a plus.
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 50 lbs
- Perform activities such as typing, standing, or sitting for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate hazards that may include heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, lead, high voltage, and cryogenics
- Willingness to travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call occasionally
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.
See more open positions at Commonwealth Fusion
Something looks off?