Assembly Technician Supervisor
People & HR, Operations
Devens, MA, USA
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2023
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
As the Technician Supervisor for SPARC Assembly, your job will be to coordinate, manage, and creatively and quickly troubleshoot the day-to-day tasks of the technician teams putting together the SPARC tokamak. You'll be the direct link between the Assembly team and the Technician teams, instructing, guiding, coordinating, and troubleshooting in any way to keep the teams and project moving forward, as well as running the daily kick-off and shift-change meetings and giving updates on what was completed for the day. In addition, this lead will sit on reviews of major operations and lifts, give feedback to improve activities, and edit and organize work instructions as needed. After SPARC Assembly is complete, this role will transition into the Lead Technician in the operations phase of the machine, utilizing your knowledge and experience with the components to coordinate, guide, and troubleshoot maintenance or repair activities as they appear.
This team member will:
- Manage and coordinate day-to-day activity of the technician teams to complete the assembly operations, per the overall schedule
- Review work order, including mechanical, welding, electrical, and liftings tasks
- Participate in major on-site operations, such as important component lifts and movements
- Inspect buy-off (visual confirmation only) for tasks completed by the technician teams
- Update the rest of the Assembly team daily on status of operations or work orders and what was completed that day
- Assign each technician or technician team to specific operations and work orders
- Coordinate with out-of-house work teams working on specialized sections of SPARC assembly when they arrive, ensuring that all teams can efficiently complete their work on time
- Troubleshoot any issues with assembly as they arrive, and come up with work-arounds to problems, or elevate the issue as necessary - Assist in all aspects that help and keep the technician teams moving forward as smoothly as possible
- Notify Assembly Engineers of problems or need for non-conformance reports in a specific assembly
- Coordinate with Commissioning team on their upcoming or ongoing activities, to ensure that each day all teams can efficiently and safely complete their work
- Kick-off daily meetings and shift-change meetings to outline what is being done that shift, which team is working on what, what the major important events (like big lifts) are that need to be communicated, safety hazards of the day, and all other details that will help the teams work efficiently and safely
- Oversee technician teams during SPARC assembly activities
- Oversee technician teams during maintenance and repair periods, during the operational phase of the SPARC machine
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Experience putting together large and complex mechanical assemblies
- Experience working in tight or constricted regions
- Supervision experience over a team of technicians
- Working on fast-paced projects with tight and high-stakes deadlines
- Experience on lifting large (>20,000 lb) assemblies and components
- High school diploma
Additional preferred experience and/or qualifications:
- Supervision over multiple technician teams across a larger project, coordinating their efforts and activities day-to-day
- Involvement in complex, multi-crane lifting and manipulation operations
- Proven track record of creative and rapid problem-solving, and finding alternative work-arounds to solve a problems
- Working flexibly in parallel-path, fast-paced schedules that are often shifting week to week, with priorities and goals changing quickly depending on need
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 50 lbs
- Perform activities such as stooping, climbing, typing, standing, or sitting for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate hazards that may include heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, lead, high voltage, and cryogenics
- Willingness to travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call occasionally
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.
See more open positions at Commonwealth Fusion
Something looks off?