Thermal Fluids Design Engineer
Devens, MA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, September 5, 2023
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
The Thermal Fluids Engineer will be responsible for developing and analyzing the early stage conceptual design for the blanket flow systems. They will also work closely with the ARC R&D team to identify critical R&D needs as well as opportunities to close the ARC design.
This team member will:
- Own the early-stage, conceptual thermal-fluids design of the ARC blanket in conjunction with the vacuum vessel team and blanket R&D team, including: * vacuum vessel cooling channel design, *blanket flowpath systems, *fluid structure interaction with vacuum vessel structure, *high level management of interfaces with pumps, heat exchangers, tritium extraction
- Generate and evaluate conceptual designs using CFD and analytical tools
- Work with the ARC R&D team to identify and plan critical R&D needed to inform the ARC vacuum vessel and internal component design
- Collaborate closely with others on the ARC Design Team, making plant-wide trade-offs to optimize the overall design
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field
- At least 5 years of industry experience
- Fluid design and analysis of large power systems
- CFD tool demonstrated experience
- Thermal and heat transfer tools and demonstrated experience
- CAD background and experience
Additional preferred experience and/or qualifications:
- Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field
- Greater than 5 years of industry experience
- Analysis of fluid-structure interactions at large-scale
- Conceptual design creativity and experience with development programs
- ANSYS Fluent, Star CCM or equivalent experience
- An ability to clearly express and critique ideas
- An emphasis on elegance and simplicity over complexity
- The ability to thrive in fast-paced, dynamic environments
- A drive toward commercially viable solutions
- Values that align with our company’s values of integrity, execution, impact, and self-critique
- Work in a facility that contains industrial hazards including heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, lead (Pb), high voltage, high current, pressure systems, and cryogenics
- Willingness to travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call occasionally
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.