R&D Test Engineer
Devens, MA, USA
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2023
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
The role of a Test Engineer is to seamlessly flex between multiple disciplines and groups to effectively execute tests and projects on aggressive schedules supporting Commonwealth Fusion System’s mission. This engineer will be primarily responsible for testing and retiring risks for CFS’ HTS magnets. They must have a fundamental understanding of mechanical, electrical, materials, fluids and software engineering, or some combination thereof. This role in particular heavily emphasizes the mechanical design and construction of the test equipment. They will be responsible for the design, build, and commissioning of equipment in support of development, qualification and production test objectives. They must work collaboratively across manufacturing, R&D, procurement, and SPARC teams to achieve their test campaigns. It is also the role of the test engineer to constantly push and challenge the requirements, risks, and test objectives that they are given to help the combined stakeholders come to a consensus on why the planned test is required and what data is deemed essential for the outcome to be achieved.
This team member will:
- Design, analyze, review, procure and build test equipment including structures, fluid systems, mechanical systems and electrical systems
- Develop test plans highlighting the test objectives, key data that are needed and the instrumentation and controls necessary to obtain this data. Ensure data is reliable
- Understand, challenge and maintain well-documented requirements and risks for the system or component under test
- Identify and mitigate safety hazards associated with test equipment. Produce safety documentation such as job hazard assessments and test readiness reviews
- Maintain documentation, schedule and budgets for the test campaign. Documentation includes: design reviews, wiring lists, P&IDs, schematics, CAD assemblies, drawings, and operations software
- Develop test procedures and processes to execute repeatable, reliable test
- Troubleshoot and resolve integration and test discrepancies during build, commissioning and operation
- Iterate on designs, equipment and operations for repeat tests to improve test efficiency
- Perform analyses for the system predicting results and develop custom tools to analyze generated data. Compile test results clearly for review
- Lead anomaly investigations and their resolution, and present results to a team of physicists and engineers
- Execute plans for future expansion, including capital equipment and floor layouts, always having a vision for scalability of systems into a larger context. Provide visions for multi-use test infrastructure that can be scaled for multiple applications
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in engineering or science field is required; electrical engineering, mechanical engineering or similar, or applied physics degree
- 3+ years experience designing/building/commissioning specialized test or industrial equipment
- 3+ years using CAD software to design complex assemblies, producing drawings for procurement, GD&T and tolerance stackups
- 3+ years experience with analysis of mechanical components, strength of materials and failure criteria. Familiar with use of fasteners and analysis of welds and bolted joints
- Familiarity with electromagnetic fundamentals – voltage, current, resistance, Ohm’s Law, AC/DC, right-hand rule, solenoids, etc.
- Excellent troubleshooting/problem-solving skills with great attention to detail
- Strong desire to improve efficiency and throughput of processes
- Effective at communicating technical topics to both technical and non-technical audiences
- High self-motivation and drive to execute quickly
- A can-do attitude and an eagerness to learn
- Collaboration skills including active listening and facilitating a productive discourse on problems
- Ability to innovate creative solutions to challenging problems
- Willingness to challenge the status quo in search of better, more efficient methods
- Experience with designing and commissioning new test facilities
- Experience with developing and executing test procedures
- Willingness to occasionally travel or work required nights/weekends/overtime
Additional preferred experience and/or qualifications:
- Experience with structural FEA software, especially ANSYS and COMSOL
- Experience using NX and Teamcenter
- Experience with high field magnet testing traditional or superconducting
- Experience with designing fluid systems – P&IDs, component selection, ASME design codes.
- Experience with cryogenic equipment design and use for liquid nitrogen and supercritical helium use – vacuum jacketed equipment, cryocoolers, phase separators, cold traps
- Experience with high vacuum equipment design and use – roughing pumps, turbopumps, ion gauges, residual gas analyzers
- Experience with high voltage and high current power equipment design and use – power supplies, water cooled cables, insulation
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 50 lbs
- Perform activities such as typing, stooping, standing, or sitting for extended periods of time
- Dedication to safety to mitigate industrial hazards that may include heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, lead (Pb), high voltage, and cryogenics
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.