Senior Plant Designer - Checker - Contract
Commonwealth Fusion Systems
Devens, MA, USA
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2023
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
CFS is looking for a Senior Plant Designer - Checker to review 3D model content and extracted design documents for completeness, accuracy and coordination of design.
This team member will:
- Perform checks on other designers’ work using 3D model viewing software such as Navisworks
- Interface with other Discipline Leads, HVAC Centers, Project Managers, and Clients
- Layout Process equipment and Piping systems using 2D and 3D software packages to produce drawings from concept through construction issues
- Design and Model piping systems, including support using 3D modeling software - Aveva E3D is preferred
- Check piping design and detail drawings, including General Layouts, Piping Orthographic, Isometrics, and Pipe Support Details
- Coordinate designs with other piping team members and with other disciplines
- Examine and validate drawings for quality and compliance
- Examine, validate, and coordinate other discipline designs for compliance with layouts
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Highly experienced in the design checking process for highly engineered, complex industrial facilities. Shall be able to evaluate and spot deficiencies in design and provide guidance to rectify any incorrect designs
- 10-years experience (preferred) with piping layout, design, checking, and supports.
- Proficient in Navisworks 3D model software for design review.
- Knowledge of AVEVA 3D CAD
- Extensive knowledge of piping design standards, specifications, guides, and procedures.
- Knowledge of pipe support design.
- Knowledge of pipe stress analysis and ability to work with pipe stress engineers.
- Working knowledge of ASME B31.1 and ASME B31.3 piping codes
- Experience with equipment design, layout, and installation of systems is required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills preferred.
- Effectively communicate with all levels of an organization’s staff.
Additional preferred experience and/or qualifications:
- Perform activities such as typing or sitting for extended periods of time
- Willingness to travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call occasionally
- Work in a facility that contains industrial hazards including heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, lead (Pb), high voltage, high current, pressure systems, and cryogenics
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.