Milpitas, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2023
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
This role primarily entails working with design engineers to improve designs via iterative analysis. This includes making sure the components can be analyzed properly, setting up analysis, providing expertise, reviewing the results and making recommendations. In addition, you will perform system scale analysis of multiple integrated components. The role also includes analyzing and proposing test plans, as well as reviewing test results to update and calibrate models.
This team member will:
- Component and integrated thermal and mechanical analysis of complex systems
- Use analytical methods, finite element/finite difference model simulations, and other analysis tools to produce models, perform analysis, calculations, data reduction, and correlate test results for structures. This analysis will include detailed thermal analyses utilizing standard industry programs
- Understand real world applications to successfully validate and calibrate models
- Working in a team environment to design and analyze mechanical and thermal systems
- Resolve complex technical issues, generate models, perform thermal analysis, and analyze and interpret results
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering
- 5+ years Thermal and Structural Analysis experience
- Proficiency with CAD software
- Familiarity with model reduction and mesh optimization for model efficiency
- Knowledge of high temperature alloys and creep
- Knowledge of low and high cycle fatigue
- Knowledge of thermal ratcheting
Additional experience and/or qualifications:
- Vacuum structures
- Thin film/PVD
- Radiation driven designs
- Experience with high stress, high temperature designs (jet engines, steam turbines, power plants, internal combustion engines, etc.)
- Perform activities such as sitting or standing for extended periods of time
- Work in a facility that contains industrial hazards including heat, cold, noise, fumes, strong magnets, lead (Pb), high voltage, high current, pressure systems, and cryogenics
- Willingness to travel occasionally or work required nights/weekends/on-call
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.