Foursquare is the leading independent location technology and data cloud platform dedicated to building meaningful bridges between digital spaces and physical places. Foursquare’s flexible building blocks include technology to maximize marketing impact and drive incremental real-world engagement (Attribution, Audience, Proximity, SDK); data to deeply understand points of interest and real-world behavior patterns (Places), and tools to conduct advanced analysis, data enrichment, unification and visualization (Studio). Our proprietary technology unlocks the most accurate, trustworthy location data in the world, empowering businesses to answer key questions, uncover hidden insights, improve customer experiences, and achieve better business outcomes. A pioneer of the geo-location space, Foursquare’s location tech stack is being utilized by the world’s largest enterprises and most recognizable brands.
About the Position
Foursquare is looking for a Software Engineer to join our team!
About the team: The Consumer Team is responsible for building the backend software capabilities that power our consumer apps, Foursquare City Guide and Swarm. We build features and products that provide compelling user experiences centered around location to users of our apps. The Consumer team is a high impact team and a core piece of the Foursquare business with direct impact on the broader company success.
About the role: Foursquare is looking for a Software Engineer to join the Consumer team and assume an essential role in building backend services and data pipelines to power Foursquare consumer apps. You will work closely with the product management and mobile engineering teams to ensure alignment with the product roadmap and company vision.
In this role, you’ll
- Design, develop, and maintain scalable, performant and secure backend systems to power Foursquare consumer apps
- Analyze requirements, research solutions, break down problems into executable plans and implement the required code
- Maintain and improve existing code with a pride of ownership and champion backend engineering best practices
- Collaborate with the Product team on feature requirements to establish technical feasibility and designs
- Work effectively with a high degree of autonomy within a collaborative team
- Learn, grow and mentor!
What you’ll need
- 3+ years of software development experience building scalable, performant and secure backend software
- Solid foundation in computer science fundamentals with sound knowledge of data structures, algorithms, and design
- Ability to grow and contribute to unfamiliar systems or areas of the stack
- Proactive, able to take initiative and work independently
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Nice to have: Experience with functional languages such as Scala and familiarity with AWS
- Your own unique talents! If you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications outlined above, we encourage and welcome you to still apply!
Benefits and Perks
- Fully Flexible Workplace - work from home, one of our offices or a combination of the two!
- Unlimited PTO - rest and recharge when you need it!
- Industry Leading Healthcare - comprehensive and competitive health, vision, dental, life insurance
- Savings and Investments - 401(k) with company match
- Home Office Setup - you get all necessary hardware and internet reimbursement
- Family Planning and Fertility Programs - programs via Carrot and Maven
- Employee Resource Groups - to help you stay connected
Things to know…
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
At Foursquare, we are committed to providing competitive pay and benefits that are in line with industry and market standards. Actual compensation packages are based on a wide array of factors unique to each candidate including but not limited to skill set, years & depth of experience, and specific office location.
Salary is just one component of Foursquare’s total compensation package, which includes restricted stock units, multiple health insurance options, and a wide range of benefits!