Staff Engineer - Foursquare BI
Foursquare is the leading independent location technology and data cloud platform, dedicated to building meaningful bridges between digital spaces and physical places. Our proprietary technology unlocks the most accurate, trustworthy location data in the world, empowering businesses to answer key questions, uncover hidden insights, improve customer experiences, and achieve better business outcomes. A pioneer of the geo-location space, Foursquare’s location tech stack is being utilized by our mobile apps CityGuide and Swarm, as well as the world’s largest enterprises and most recognizable brands, like Amazon, Microsoft, Samsung, Spotify, Uber, Airbnb, and others.
Foursquare’s flexible building blocks include technology to maximize marketing impact and drive incremental real-world engagement (Attribution, Audience, Proximity, SDK); data to deeply understand points of interest and real-world behavior patterns (Places and Visits), and tools to conduct advanced analysis, data enrichment, unification and visualization (Studio).
Learn more at location.foursquare.com
About the Role:
Foursquare is looking for a Staff Engineer to join the BI team to build and develop the FSQ BI application. The candidate should have a relevant background in building analytic dashboard products, with an understanding of basic SQL, charts, and maps.
What you’ll do:
- Design and build scalable, performant and maintainable services to power the Foursquare BI
- Analyze complex customer requirements, research solutions, break down problems into executable plans and implement the required code
- Maintain and improve existing code with a pride of ownership and champion backend engineering best practices
- Write test automation, conduct code reviews, and take end-to-end ownership of deployments to production
- Manage project timelines, implementation design specifications, engineering system diagrams, documentation, testing and ongoing system support
- Work across multiple teams, identify technical stakeholders and drive consensus
- Work with product and sales teams to understand customer needs and translate them into backend engineering projects
- B.Sc. in a technical field such as computer science or equivalent experience
- At ease with technology, able to quickly pick up new platforms and troubleshoot
- Sound judgment, a high degree of professionalism, and the ability to maintain confidentiality
- Proactive, able to take initiative and work independently
- Excellent English written and oral communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks
Nice To Have:
- Experience with other Big Data technologies, like BigQuery, Snowflake, HDFS, Hive, Presto, Arrow, Parquet is always appreciated
- Experience with geospatial data
- Experience with spatial indexing systems: H3, S2, geohash
Technologies we use:
- Cloud stack: AWS
- Cloud deployment: Kubernetes, Containers and Docker, Helm
- Language: TypeScript (Node.js) and Python
- Data stores: MySQL, Redis, GCS and S3
Benefits and perks:
- We are a fully flexible company that allows you to work from any location in Serbia or from our Belgrade office
- 25 days of paid vacation
- Private medical insurance
- Education stipend
- Home Office Setup, you get all the necessary hardware
- Summer Fridays, two non-working Fridays each July and August
- Learning and development programs
- Professional coaching
- Restricted Stock Units
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.