Engineering Site Director, CDMX
You + Helix
Helix is a place where innovators and doers gather in order to drive significant progress in population genomics. We have come together to work at the intersection of clinical care, research, and genomics.
If you’re excited by the idea of making a meaningful impact and joining a team where we pride ourselves on driving innovation through fostering an environment with an emphasis on empowering one another to grow, Helix might be the place for you!
Helix + The World
Helix is the leading population genomics and viral surveillance company. Helix enables health systems, public health organizations and life science companies to accelerate the integration of genomic data into patient care and public health decision making.
We are continuing to scale our world-class team to support our dedication to empowering every person to improve their life through DNA.
Helix + Transparency
At Helix, we value transparency. You will find the expected compensation, interview process, what to anticipate during onboarding, and your first 90 days listed in the job description for all Helix roles.
What's special about this role:
You will lead our new site operations in Mexico City, bridging the gap between our US staff and the local CDMX team. You will be a critical part of our international growth, overseeing all local site operations and serving as a cultural ambassador. This is a unique opportunity to apply your engineering leadership towards a role that blends high technical acumen with a deep understanding of cross-cultural communication and management.
As the Engineering Site Director, CDMX, you will:
- Serve as the go-to between US staff and the local engineering team in Mexico City.
- Oversee local site operations across multiple functions.
- Ensure local compliance with all relevant laws, regulations, and company policies.
- Cultivate a team culture that respects and celebrates both local and company-wide customs and values.
- Work in close coordination with US-based managers who provide training, process and practices, strategic oversight, and resource allocation.
- Enable and drive adoption of Helix engineering practices, infrastructure, and processes.
- Collaborate with peer leaders across Engineering, Product Management, Security, Privacy, and other functional areas to advance Helix’s platform.
- Support local engineers in their career development through active coaching and feedback.
- Partner with Recruiting in hiring and retaining a high-performing Mexico City team.
- 10+ years experience in Software Engineering and 5+ years leadership experience at a senior manager or director level
- Proven track record recruiting, scaling, and retaining a software development team
- Infrastructure experience building and running applications on AWS
- Development experience in Python, Golang, TypeScript, or similar languages
- Demonstrated ability to work closely with high-caliber Security and Privacy functions
- Affinity for an engineering culture that emphasizes Agile, DevOps, and continuous delivery
- Empathetic, diligent, data-driven, high-integrity leadership style
- Excellent interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills
- Experience working with distributed teams in a multinational company
- Willing to work onsite in Mexico City for at least three days each week
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Bachelor/Master of Science in Computer Science
- Familiarity with regulated software systems (e.g., HIPAA, ISO, FDA)
Expected Interview Process:
1) Recruiter Screen 2) Manager Screen/Tech Screen 3) Onsite 4) Offer
Expected Pay For This Role:
We are currently still in the process of finalizing our salary bands for employees in Mexico. As soon as the work is completed, we will update the information here and your recruiter will share the information with you if you’ve started the interview process.
Aside from working alongside brilliant, dedicated, passionate, down-to-earth, curious, warm, and thoughtful people, we also provide great benefits through our employer of record.
What To Expect During Your Onboarding Week:
We want to make sure your first week is spent learning the foundations. You will be invited to live orientation sessions and spend time with your hiring manager developing your individual roadmap to success. This experience will include sessions that cover your benefits, security & privacy training, an introduction to the OKR framework used at Helix and our communication tools and norms.
What To Expect During Your First 90 days:
First 30 days: you’ll spend time learning the Helix way, completing training and onboarding for your roles, and getting introduced to your team and relevant stakeholders. You’ll also gain a deeper understanding of our customers, our products, the impact we make in the lives of our communities, and how to thrive at Helix through participation in Helix U.
Day 30 - 60: you’ll spend time contributing to projects, deeply familiarizing yourself with team and company processes, and developing a deeper understanding of Helix’s products, services and capabilities.
Day 60 - 90: you’ll build your OKRs with your manager, start to take ownership of projects and initiatives on your team, and begin to demonstrate your impact on the Helix mission.
Helix is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.