Staff Software Development Engineer, Data Platform
You + Helix
Helix is a place where innovators and doers gather in order to drive significant progress in population genomics. We have come together to work at the intersection of clinical care, research, and genomics.
If you’re excited by the idea of making a meaningful impact and joining a team where we pride ourselves on driving innovation through fostering an environment with an emphasis on empowering one another to grow, Helix might be the place for you!
Helix + The World
Helix is the leading population genomics and viral surveillance company. Helix enables health systems, public health organizations and life science companies to accelerate the integration of genomic data into patient care and public health decision making.
We are continuing to scale our world-class team to support our dedication to empowering every person to improve their life through DNA.
Helix + Transparency
At Helix, we value transparency. You will find the expected compensation, interview process, what to anticipate during onboarding, and your first 90 days listed in the job description for all Helix roles.
What is special about this role?
As a staff software engineer, you will be working with a team of talented engineers and scientists to create and maintain data infrastructure to advance Helix’s mission. You will play a leading role in designing and implementing reliable and innovative solutions to advance the use of genomic data while ruthlessly ensuring that this sensitive information is protected.
As a Staff Software Engineer - Data Platform, you will:
- Innovate new ways to evolve our data platform.
- Collaborate with product managers, bioinformaticians, scientists, other engineers, and business leaders.
- Deploy and operate software with reliability and scale for our developers and health systems.
- Establish and maintain strong engineering best practices.
- Own systems and services from development to production.
- Mentor other engineers to reinforce a culture of learning and teaching.
- 7+ years experience in software development and/or data management
- Proficiency in Go, Python, Java, or similar
- Proficiency in dimensional modeling, modern data warehousing, and SQL
- Proficiency with distributed systems built on cloud infrastructure — AWS or similar
- Experience with data pipeline orchestration platforms like Airflow
- Experience developing and owning serverless (e.g., AWS Api Gateway, Lambda) and container-based (e.g. Docker) infrastructure
- Experience with infrastructure-as-code tooling/frameworks (e.g., Terraform, Cloudformation, AWS CDK)
- Thought leadership and a successful track record mentoring other engineers
- Affinity for an engineering culture that emphasizes Agile, DevOps, and continuous delivery
- Proven track record of successful project deliveries improving how data value is realized at an organization
- Familiarity with genomics, bioinformatics, or electronic health record data
- Familiarity with regulated software systems and entities
- Experience with data storage and processing using technologies like Redshift, S3, AWS Glue, Lake Formation, dbt, Airbyte, Fivetran, Spark, Athena, Kafka, Trino, Snowflake, Databricks, GraphQL
- Experience with data governance concepts and platforms for data cataloging, privacy compliance workflows, fine-grained access control, and quality monitoring
- Experience with machine learning or AI technologies, including LLMs.
- Knowledge of data analytics and visualization tools like Tableau, Power BI, or Mode Analytics
Expected Interview Process:
1) Recruiter Screen 2) Manager Screen/Tech Screen 3) Onsite 4) Offer
Expected Pay For This Role:
Annual Salary - MXN 1,155,000 to 1,645,000
Aside from working alongside brilliant, dedicated, passionate, down-to-earth, curious, warm, and thoughtful people, we also provide great benefits through our employer of record.
Our office is located at the WeWork in Varsovia at C. Varsovia 36, Juárez, Cuauhtémoc, 06600 Ciudad de México, CDMX, Mexico.
This role is a hybrid role with the expectation of working onsite 3 days a week.
What To Expect During Your Onboarding Week:
We want to make sure your first week is spent learning the foundations. You will be invited to live orientation sessions and spend time with your hiring manager developing your individual roadmap to success. This experience will include sessions that cover your benefits, security & privacy training, an introduction to the OKR framework used at Helix and our communication tools and norms.
What To Expect During Your First 90 days:
First 30 days: you’ll spend time learning the Helix way, completing training and onboarding for your roles, and getting introduced to your team and relevant stakeholders. You’ll also gain a deeper understanding of our customers, our products, the impact we make in the lives of our communities, and how to thrive at Helix through participation in Helix U.
Day 30 - 60: you’ll spend time contributing to projects, deeply familiarizing yourself with team and company processes, and developing a deeper understanding of Helix’s products, services and capabilities.
Day 60 - 90: you’ll build your OKRs with your manager, start to take ownership of projects and initiatives on your team, and begin to demonstrate your impact on the Helix mission.
Helix is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.