Senior Data Engineer, Search
Mapbox is the leading real-time location platform for a new generation of location-aware businesses. Mapbox is the only platform that equips organizations with the full set of tools to power the navigation of people, packages, and vehicles everywhere. More than 3.5 million registered developers have chosen Mapbox because of the platform’s flexibility, security and privacy compliance. Organizations use Mapbox applications, data, SDKs and APIs to create customized and immersive experiences that delight their customers. Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, tracking your personal best mile on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps.
What We Do
The Search Data team supplies address, place, and points of interest (POI) data for global searches in countries around the world. Search is crucial for our customers’ applications and we are a key partner to the Maps and Navigation organizations at Mapbox. Whether you’re trying to find a place among the vast ocean of data on a global map or to find the exact location of a venue a few miles down the road, Search is in the critical path of our customers’ experiences.
What You'll Do
We are looking for Data Engineers to help us build new datasets and pipelines for in-vehicle navigation applications. As a Senior Data Engineer, you will have the opportunity to work on the Search Data team at Mapbox - an exciting and challenging opportunity!
We process batch data from thousands of sources and use ETL data pipelines to prepare it for our search engines. This area of our work presents a range of challenging algorithmic, scaling, and quality assessment opportunities. You will work with diverse datasets at scale - hundreds of millions of records - and play a vital role in ensuring the high quality of our products. If you are passionate about data engineering and ready to take on new challenges, we invite you to join our team!
As a Senior Data Engineer on the Search Data team, you will:
- Work with specialized geospatial data sets including road networks, buildings, POI’s, and addresses
- Create new data products for our in-vehicle navigation experiences
- Implement distributed pipelines to process geospatial data
- Integrate third party data sources from different geographic areas into the basemap
- Interface with engineers from other teams to understand their needs for geospatial data and provide solutions
- Implement automated quality metrics to ensure we are continuously delivering high quality data to our customers
- Mentor other software engineers to develop all aspects of their engineering skill sets, including participating in design and code reviews
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- 5+ years of industry experience working with data pipelines
- Hands-on experience with AWS technologies like S3, Athena, Glue, and EMR
- Proficiency in SQL
- Proficiency in at least one modern programming language (Python, Scala, or Java) suitable for data processing
- Strong experience with batch and real-time data processing and developed judgment to implement new data pipelines and best practices around it
- Familiarity working with Apache Spark or other Hadoop based technologies
- Familiarity with CI/CD processes
- Experience with introducing quality and operational metrics into a data ETL pipeline
- Integrating data with APIs and querying data through APIs
Nice to Have Traits for This Role
- Experience with geospatial data analysis and processing
- Experience with Docker
- Experience with machine learning
- Familiarity with spatially-enabled relational databases such as Postgres with PostGIS
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Something looks off?