Mapbox is the leading real-time location platform for a new generation of location-aware businesses. Mapbox is the only platform that equips organizations with the full set of tools to power the navigation of people, packages, and vehicles everywhere. More than 3.9 million registered developers have chosen Mapbox because of the platform’s flexibility, security, and privacy compliance. Organizations use Mapbox applications, data, SDKs, and APIs to create customized and immersive experiences that delight their customers.
What we do:
The Maps Rendering team uses our engineering skills and curiosity to push the boundaries of what’s possible with interactive maps and how people use location technologies in their daily lives. We work on a state-of-the-art web platform for map interaction and visualization used by millions of people around the globe.
What you’ll do:
- Work on mapbox-gl-js, the world’s leading vector map rendering engine.
- Work with cutting-edge browser technologies and an ambitious, modern codebase — using WebGL, Web Workers, ECMAScript with modules, and WebAssembly.
- Solve interesting graphics programming, algorithms, and architectural challenges.
- Improve the project’s performance, stability, maintainability and simplicity.
- Work with the Native/Mobile rendering teams to ensure cross-compatibility of maps across all platforms.
What we believe are important traits for this role:
- Curiosity, enthusiasm, eagerness to solve challenging technical problems in the geo and data visualization space using emerging technologies.
- Empathy and kindness; willingness to learn from different perspectives and patience to help others grow.
- Strong communication skills and ability to collaborate effectively with distributed teams.
Helpful experience that is a plus but not a requirement:
- Graphics programming (OpenGL, WebGL)
- Native development (C++, Mobile SDKs)
- Location technologies (maps, GIS)
- Contributions to open source projects.
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapboxers:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Something looks off?