Engineering Manager, Basemap
Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data and services, such as the Internet of Things and AR/VR.
Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, looking at a gym on ClassPass, tracking your personal best on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by mapping the world in real-time. We are the developer platform for location.
What we do
The Basemap team is responsible for the content and cartography of our Mapbox Streets visual map that is used by customers such as Toyota, Rivian, BMW, Y!Japan. The product you’ll be responsible for is seen by more than 700M monthly active users.
We're looking for an Engineering Manager to join our team to create new maps for Automotive, Logistics, Consumer Applications, Outdoors and Gaming. Your team will work with the machine learning and data curation teams to create more detailed maps and process new data types such as points of interests, popular areas, outdoor and 3D features into maps.
Your technical skills and leadership will drive the feature development and operational excellence of these maps. You'll also bring your people management skills to ensure that the team is growing, while delivering on the roadmap. Our team uses a modern data processing stack using Python, Spark, Airflow to process datasets into map tiles using the Mapbox Tiling Service.
What you’ll do
As an Engineering Manager on the Basemap team, you’ll be responsible for, and expected to:
- Work collaboratively with other engineering leaders at Mapbox to evolve and communicate Mapbox’s strategy for providing the most innovative map data in the industry to developers and designers.
- Foster a culture of collaboration, innovation, inclusion and data-driven decisions on the team
- Operate the team day-to-day and be hands-on in project management and planning
- Establish, track, and iterate on operational metrics to ensure the team is delivering products that satisfy customer requirements.
- Manage and develop the team through hiring, retaining, mentoring, and continually building the team’s capabilities
What we believe are important traits for this role
- 3+ years of experience managing teams of 6+ engineers
- Experience in data engineering environment such as Python, SQL, Spark
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong planning and organizational skills to weigh conflicting constraints, make appropriate tradeoffs and develop engineering roadmaps jointly with a product manager.
- Track record of recruiting and retaining a diverse top talent engineering team
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
By applying for this position, you acknowledge that you have received the Mapbox Non-US Privacy Notice for applicants, which is linked here. Completing this application requires you to provide personal data, such as your name and contact information, which is mandatory for Mapbox to process your application.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.