Engineering Manager, Maps API
Mapbox is the leading real-time location platform for a new generation of location-aware businesses. Mapbox is the only platform that equips organizations with the full set of tools to power the navigation of people, packages, and vehicles everywhere. More than 3.9 million registered developers have chosen Mapbox because of the platform’s flexibility, security, and privacy compliance. Organizations use Mapbox applications, data, SDKs, and APIs to create customized and immersive experiences that delight their customers.
What We Do
The Maps API team builds and maintains the applications and infrastructure responsible for creating and distributing Mapbox maps. Thousands of customers rely on our services to seamlessly handle billions of requests every day, scale in real-time to global events, and enable designers, developers, and analysts to make and share maps we’ve never dreamed of.
Delivering maps means delivering a model of the world that’s changing all the time and needs to automatically support the world’s edge cases – writing systems, fonts, local regulations, and global boundary disputes.
Our team develops, maintains and operates the highest-traffic read APIs at Mapbox and the distributed ETL pipelines used by internal and external customers to turn data into maps. We’re building new ways for people to visualize location data.
What You'll Do
As an Engineering Manager on the Maps API team, you will lead a team of innovative and high performing engineers who develop Mapbox Maps APIs and scale them to meet operational excellence standards. You will be responsible for organizing your team’s day-to-day work, fostering the growth and development of the people on the team, and aligning the team’s work to the company priorities.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Deliver complex, high-impact projects while providing technical expertise and mentorship to your team.
- Operate your team’s day-to-day and be hands-on in project management and sprint planning.
- Manage SRE responsibilities for on-call and related responsibilities.
- Empathize with internal and external customers delivering features that address their needs.
- Manage and develop the team through hiring, retaining, mentoring, and continually building the team’s capabilities.
- Drive company, product, and team objectives, carrying your team and relevant stakeholders along in the decision-making.
- Develop the long-term business strategy driving the team’s work.
- Establish, track, and iterate on operational metrics to ensure the team is delivering products that meet or exceed customer expectations.
- Determine best engineering practices and promote them within the team and across Mapbox.
- Foster a culture of collaboration, innovation, diversity, and data-driven decisions on the team.
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Previous experience (3+ years) building and leading a high-performing team of backend engineers that delivered high-impact and high-value work.
- Strong opinions on ergonomic, developer-friendly Restful HTTP APIs.
- Expertise in designing, maintaining, and scaling highly-available distributed systems through rapid growth.
- You like to experiment, but love finishing projects even more.
- Clear and persuasive communication of complex information to a broad audience, and a commitment to fostering and growing cross-team relationships.
- Experience facilitating work in ways that counteract unconscious bias.
- Commitment to recruiting and retaining a diverse engineering team.
- Proven ability to design and develop sophisticated, innovative, efficient, and durable applications on AWS.
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity