Software Development Engineer II, Billing
Mapbox is the leading real-time location platform for a new generation of location-aware businesses. Mapbox is the only platform that equips organizations with the full set of tools to power the navigation of people, packages, and vehicles everywhere. More than 3.9 million registered developers have chosen Mapbox because of the platform’s flexibility, security, and privacy compliance. Organizations use Mapbox applications, data, SDKs, and APIs to create customized and immersive experiences that delight their customers.
What We Do
The Billing team is responsible for building and maintaining accurate counting and reporting systems for measuring Mapbox service usage, translating those counts into easily consumable invoices, and helping users pay Mapbox with their securely managed payment methods. The team offers analytics and statistics products to help Mapbox customers understand how their customers are consuming their applications.
These systems serve as the foundations for our Mapbox business and are a cornerstone of our platform. Reliability, data integrity, and security are top of mind for everything we do. We work across the stack to expose the services that we build via well-designed and intuitive interfaces. The team’s scope of work serves a diverse range of stakeholders. Our datasets are used by internal Mapbox teams to understand how our business is growing, and our public APIs and interfaces help Mapbox users manage and understand their applications.
What You'll Do
Mapbox is looking for a talented, senior-level software engineer to join our Billing team. You will be responsible for contributing to, maintaining, and improving all things related to the Billing ecosystem at Mapbox. In this role, you can expect to:
- Spearhead new feature development to best serve Mapbox customers’ billing and statistics needs.
- Design systems and make decisions that will keep pace with the rapid growth of Mapbox.
- Promote a culture of operational excellence by meticulously testing and monitoring our systems and code, writing documentation, and being on-call to support the health of our services.
- Optimize for qualities like reduction of technical debt and ease of knowledge sharing, in addition to feature velocity.
- Document your work and decision-making processes, and lead presentations and discussions in a way that is easy for others to understand
- Understand what steps need to be taken in order to execute on a well-vetted product idea to completion. Identify and scope out well-defined tasks for yourself and the team.
- Uphold a culture of collaboration, transparency, creativity, inclusion, and data-driven decisions.
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Proven ability to design and develop sophisticated, innovative, efficient, and durable solutions to complex technology problems.
- Experience building scalable web services or distributed cloud-based architecture.
- Autonomy, proactivity, and ownership around driving work to completion in the face of ambiguity.
- A desire to share your expertise through documentation, mentorship, and both written and vocal discussion.
- A personal drive to expand your comfort zone by exploring new and/or unfamiliar tasks.
- A desire to work with individuals with diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences.
- Strong proficiency in a programming language, testing practices, and thorough documentation.
- Experience with our tech stack - node.js, React, SQL, NoSQL, AWS (Spark, Airflow, Glue, ECS, CloudFormation, Lambda, DynamoDB, and more) - or similar technologies (GCP, Azure).
- Familiarity with Stripe payments is a plus.
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
By applying for this position, you acknowledge that you have received the Mapbox Non-US Privacy Notice for applicants. Completing this application requires you to provide personal data, such as your name and contact information, which is mandatory for Mapbox to process your application.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity