Quality Assurance Engineer II, Navigation SDK
Mapbox is the leading real-time location platform for a new generation of location-aware businesses. Mapbox is the only platform that equips organizations with the full set of tools to power the navigation of people, packages, and vehicles everywhere. More than 3.9 million registered developers have chosen Mapbox because of the platform’s flexibility, security, and privacy compliance. Organizations use Mapbox applications, data, SDKs, and APIs to create customized, immersive experiences that delight their customers.
What We Do
Navigation SDK team serves customers with use cases ranging from turn-by-turn navigation to delivery route planning for fleets of thousands of trucks. Our services are often at the heart of our customers' business operations. We aim to efficiently guide users from point A to point B by accurately matching them on roads, while having a deep understanding of routing, map-matching data structures and algorithms.
Our routing engine is built using C++ for optimal performance and flexibility. The same core engine powers both our server-side APIs and our mobile SDK for on-device offline routing. It plays a crucial role in our positioning service, which translates GPS signals and other available data into positions on a road graph. We recognize that users expect fast and accurate positioning, even in challenging scenarios such as poor signals, diverse devices, urban areas, and clouds. To address these uncertainties, we continuously improve our algorithms and approaches while also collecting and processing data to gain a better understanding of the real world.
Our products power experiences and operations for customers like BMW, Porsche, Doordash and Instacart. Read about Mapbox Navigation on our blog: https://www.mapbox.com/navigation
What You’ll Do
Mapbox is seeking a Senior Software Development Engineer in Test to join the Navigation team. Working closely with both mobile and automotive devices we have an opportunity to develop outstanding products for navigation used by customers across the globe.
In this role there you will:
- Establish automated and manual testing strategies to ensure the quality of native layer products across the Navigation Native team in 3 domains:
1) navigation state machine logic and routing
2) map-matching and ehorizon functionalities
3) driver applications
- Together with a team improve and level-up test automation framework and integrate third-party testing services as needed to support bug-free releasing process. Identify areas where testing is critical for product stability and development. Guarantee quality process is in place at all times
- Coach and mentor software engineers on best practices for automation testing
- Provide manual and exploratory testing to identify and record defects, assess their severity and analyse steps to reproduction, build features/defects relations to proactively envision what should be tested after changes made to the core logic, and document properly
- Build test suites to cover smoke, regression and functional testing
- Coordinate work with the driving team to verify improvements and plan further activities
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- 5+ years of work experience in software quality assurance field;
- Proven experience in defining a testing strategy, knowledgeable about testing and quality assurance methodologies including: test planning, test case design, test automation, and performance testing;
- Good knowledge of software development methodologies, tools, and technologies;
- Experience with at least one CI&D platform and cloud testing services (AWS Device Farm, Firebase TestLab, Saucelabs…);
- Ability to communicate ideas clearly to both peers and leadership;
- Open-minded to explore new domains and combine past experience with new technologies to achieve tangible results;
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to work in ambiguous environments;
- Hands experience with at least one automation testing framework.
What we consider a plus or domains for technical expertise growing:
- Hands-on experience with REST services;
- Knowledge of SQL;
- User-level experience with Linux shell;
- Experience with AWS or another cloud provider;
- Experience with geospatial data analysis and processing.
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity