Software Development Engineer II, Delivery Intelligence
Mapbox is the leading real-time location platform for a new generation of location-aware businesses. Mapbox is the only platform that equips organizations with the full set of tools to power the navigation of people, packages, and vehicles everywhere. More than 3.9 million registered developers have chosen Mapbox because of the platform’s flexibility, security, and privacy compliance. Organizations use Mapbox applications, data, SDKs, and APIs to create customized and immersive experiences that delight their customers.
What We Do
Search has a lot of challenging areas for engineers to explore and grow. Mapbox search is about location and it can be highly adjustable to the end-user use cases, like navigation routable points, along the route search, limited connectivity search, etc. We focus our efforts on relevance, geo-context optimizations, data conflation, merging offline and online solutions and measuring all of that with high-volume user feedback. Search is the key component of our solutions. Every route and every delivery starts with a search.
What You'll Do
We are looking for innovative and curious Senior Software Engineers to join our Search API team and help us build world-class mobile SDKs and geospatial tools.
As a Senior Software Engineer on the Search API team, you'll be responsible for designing, developing, and refining our search product offerings. We will start by helping customers leverage our search services via our JS SDKs and then expand into emerging product offerings like delivery intelligence - perfecting the arrival experience at every address, globally.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Support and extend the Mapbox Search JS SDK and Gl-Geocoder library
- Be on the cutting edge of an emerging product offering, delivery intelligence
- Design and implement SDK features and experiences, following and establishing best practices for deployment, resilience, and observability
- Build and support internal web-based tools used across the organization
- Participate in end-to-end feature implementation within the larger search organization; review code and design documents, shepherd feature releases, and participate in an on-call rotation
- Evaluate the quality, reliability, and capacity requirements of our user-facing search products and become a well-rounded owner of what you deliver
- Work with product owners, sales engineering, and management to drive future product direction
- Mentor other software engineers to develop all aspects of their engineering skill sets, including participating in design and code reviews
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- 4+ years of industry experience
- Strong in React Development and Typescript
- Experience engineering web services in Node.js
- Strong communication skills and ability to collaborate effectively with globally distributed teams
- Experience implementing automated testing platforms and unit tests
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools such as Git
Nice to Have Traits for This role
- Experience building highly-available API services within container-based environments (e.g. Docker, ECS, etc. on AWS)
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply
Our annual base compensation for this role ranges from $143,225 to $193,775 for most US locations and 5% to 10% higher for US locations with a higher cost of labor. Job level and actual compensation will be decided based on factors including, but not limited to, individual qualifications objectively assessed during the interview process (including skills and prior relevant experience, potential impact, and scope of role), market demands, and specific work location.