Senior 3D Artist/Tech Artist, 3D Content
Mapbox is the leading real-time location platform for a new generation of location-aware businesses. Mapbox is the only platform that equips organizations with the full set of tools to power the navigation of people, packages, and vehicles everywhere. More than 3.9 million registered developers have chosen Mapbox because of the platform’s flexibility, security, and privacy compliance. Organizations use Mapbox applications, data, SDKs, and APIs to create customized and immersive experiences that delight their customers.
What We Do
3D Content is a division in Minsk, which closely collaborates w/ international teams in the US, UK and Finland. We are responsible for creation and delivery of 3D assets to Mapbox Standard, obsessed with finding systematic and scalable solutions to hard problems, and, in the process, inventing the future of how people interact with location. Our work drives the maps that millions of users interact with every day through customer apps from companies such as Toyota, BMW, Strava, Yahoo! Japan, Nextdoor, Doordash and many more. We collaborate closely with engineering and design, and use our skills, creativity and curiosity to push the boundaries of what’s possible with interactive maps and how people use location technologies in their daily lives. We work on state-of-the-art platforms, largely open-source, for map interaction and visualization used by millions of people around the globe.
Read more about Mapbox Standard:
- New 3D Environments Enhance Wayfinding and Location Awareness
- Powerful, Elegant 3D Visualizations Now Available to Everyone
- 60 Global Cities with 3D Landmarks in Mapbox Standard
What You'll Do
- Solve technical, architectural and design challenges;
- Work with Management, Design and Engineering Teams to determine the vision and roadmap for building the most engaging 3D map and navigation experience;
- Serve as a bridge between the art and engineering teams, being someone who is able to think from both standpoints;
- Simplify, optimize and automate the current pipelines and set the new ones;
- Specify tools and determine technologies actually needed for 3D Artist to do their work fast and efficiently, work with engineering to implement them into daily tooling and workflow;
- Continually improve and expand the operational footprint of the area as complexity/scope increases;
- Deliver complex, high-impact projects while providing technical expertise, and drive project objectives, carrying the team along in the decision-making;
- Improve the technical and artistic level of the team through the target coaching and guiding.
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- 3+ years of experience working as a Lead/Senior 3D Artist;
- Strong in a variety of 3D modeling techniques and being able to apply them to a wider range of platforms if necessary (working with stylization of architecture is a favor).
- Blender tool is one of the well-known work experiences (Bonus: knowledge of Blender API, Python);
- A good understanding of rendering and art pipelines;
- Familiarity with command line tools and Git / Github;
- Experience in setting and/or optimization of 3d pipelines:
- Ability to collaborate across design and engineering teams;
- Building operations for large volumes of 3D assets (e.g. in GameDev) and/or experience scaling 3D pipelines and operations successfully;
- Passion for the operational excellence of your systems including aspects of monitoring and metrics, triaging and troubleshooting regressions, and improving a product or operations continually over time;
- Strong project management skills;
- Clear and persuasive communication of information in English to a broad audience, and a commitment to fostering and growing cross-team relationships;
- Ability to work in a dynamic, fast-paced company, with the ability to prioritize and adapt to change;
- Discipline to manage your own schedule in alignment with the team’s overall needs.
- Ability to take on an ownership role, be able to ramp up quickly and operate independently;
- Empathy and willingness to learn from different perspectives and patience to help others grow.
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity