Staff Backend Engineer, Core Experiences
Patreon is the best place for creators to build memberships by providing exclusive access to their work and a deeper connection with their communities. We’re building a content and community platform where creators can engage directly with their fans and monetize their creativity, while maintaining full ownership over the work they make and the communities they create.
We’re leaders in the membership space with 250,000+ active creators and over $3.5 billion paid directly to creators on our platform. Our team is building tools to optimize the creator-to-fan relationship, including native video, enhanced podcasting features, improved creation tools, and new community experiences. We’re continuing to invest heavily in building the most talented team in the Creator Economy and are looking for a Staff Backend Engineer on the Core Experiences team to support our mission.
This role is based in San Francisco or New York City and open to those who are able to be in-office 2 days per week on a hybrid work model.
About the Role
- Build the services and APIs that power Patreon’s core product experiences around Content and Community.
- Work cross functionality with engineering, product and design counter-parts to define and deliver Patreon’s most visible features.
- Improve operational efficiency by shipping infra that optimizes performance, reliability and efficiency of Patreon’s Content and Community services.
- At least 8+ years of experience building modern backend services that power web and mobile front ends.
- Preferred strong understanding of Python.
- Experience shipping backend services at scale.
- Independent and autonomous. You’re able to unblock yourself across a team composed of engineering, product and design disciplines.
- Good collaboration skills. You enjoy collaborating with folks from different backgrounds and disciplines. Good written and verbal communication.
- Hold yourself and others to a high standard. You’re pragmatic and take pride in the code you ship to production.
Patreon powers creators to do what they love and get paid by the people who love what they do. Our team is passionate about making this mission and our core values come to life every day in our work. Through this work, our Patronauts:
- Put Creators First | They’re the reason we’re here. When creators win, we win.
- Build with Craft | We sign our name to every deliverable, just like the creators we serve.
- Make it Happen | We don’t quit. We learn and deliver.
- Win Together | We grow as individuals. We win as a team.
We hire talented and passionate people from different backgrounds because we want our company to represent the vast diversity of our creators. If you’re excited about a role but your prior experience doesn’t match with every bullet point outlined above, we strongly encourage you to apply anyway. If you’re a creator at heart, are energized by our mission, and share our company values, we’d love to hear from you.
Patreon is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected class.
Patreon offers a competitive benefits package including and not limited to salary, equity plans, healthcare, unlimited paid time off, company holidays and recharge days, commuter benefits, lifestyle stipends, learning and development stipends, patronage, parental leave, and 401k plan with matching.
The posted range represents the expected salary range for this job requisition and does not include any other potential components of the compensation package, benefits and perks previously outlined. Ultimately, in determining pay, we'll consider your experience, leveling, location and other job-related factors.
Something looks off?