Staff Software Engineer, Database Infrastructure
Patreon is the best place for creators to build memberships by providing exclusive access to their work and a deeper connection with their communities. We’re building a content and community platform where creators can engage directly with their fans and monetize their creativity, while maintaining full ownership over the work they make and the communities they create.
We’re leaders in the membership space with 250,000+ active creators and over $3.5 billion paid directly to creators on our platform. Our team is building tools to optimize the creator-to-fan relationship, including native video, enhanced podcasting features, improved creation tools, and new community experiences. We’re continuing to invest heavily in building the most talented team in the Creator Economy and are looking for a Staff Software Engineer - Database Infrastructure to support our mission.
About the Role
At Patreon, we deal with some of the most sensitive data such as patrons’ payment methods, creators’ financial information to process payouts, along with several other bits of personal information from patrons and creators alike. We process over a billion dollars annually. Our security team takes on the responsibility of protecting and safeguarding this data, and making sure these transactions proceed without being tampered with.
We are looking for an engineer to act as the tech lead for our database team. This role allows for remote work.
What you will do:
- Design, architect, and implement Patreon’s next generation relational database strategy to support high availability, low latency, and scalability of a rapidly growing platform
- Implement self-service database tooling to automate complex tasks such as database provisioning and schema migrations
- Design and implement database tooling for CI/CD environments
- Partner with technical leaders to define data access and caching best practices for Patreon's core application.
- Partner with cross functional leaders across engineering to understand pain points and proactively build a more robust database platform
- Provide architectural, design, and guidance to software development teams to improve application performance when accessing databases
- Build tooling and process to ensure databases are performant and cost efficient
- Respond to and, when appropriate, resolve or escalate database incidents
Skills and experience you possess:
- 6+ years of experience as a Software Engineer or Site Reliability Engineer with a focus on high scale MySQL deployments running in the cloud (preferred AWS)
- Experience with horizontal sharding technologies (preferred Vitess / Planetscale)
- Hands-on experience with Python or similar programming languages
- Working knowledge of cloud native environments and container technologies including Docker and Kubernetes
- You demonstrate high engineering craft and are passionate about being a bar raiser
Who You'll Work With:
At Patreon, you'll join a high-performing and highly-empathetic team of people who proudly work on fulfilling our mission of funding the creative class. Our culture of creator-first, thoughtful teammates keeps work creative, stretching, and rewarding.
Patreon powers creators to do what they love and get paid by the people who love what they do. Our team is passionate about making this mission and our core values come to life every day in our work. Through this work, our Patronauts:
- Put Creators First | They’re the reason we’re here. When creators win, we win.
- Build with Craft | We sign our name to every deliverable, just like the creators we serve.
- Make it Happen | We don’t quit. We learn and deliver.
- Win Together | We grow as individuals. We win as a team.
Patreon is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected class.
Patreon offers a competitive benefits package including and not limited to salary, equity plans, healthcare, unlimited paid time off, company holidays and recharge days, commuter benefits, lifestyle stipends, learning and development stipends, patronage, parental leave, and 401k plan with matching.
The posted range represents the expected salary range for this job requisition and does not include any other potential components of the compensation package, benefits and perks previously outlined. Ultimately, in determining pay, we'll consider your experience, leveling, location and other job-related factors.