Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About the Role:
Planet is seeking a Data Scientist focused on Product and Customer analytics to join our Data team. The team is responsible for bringing best-in-class data products to enable every Planeteer to measure & understand the impact of their work towards our triple-bottom-line (planet, people, profit) as we aim to achieve our North Star over the next decade. You will have the opportunity to help shape the team’s technical direction across the full data science lifecycle–from exploratory data mining, problem definition, experimental design and instrumentation, to data conditioning, analysis, and storytelling–uncovering actionable insights on Planet’s customers, products, and platform in terabytes of data.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Run strategic analyses that surface actionable insights & hypotheses around customer behavior and product engagement to inform Product strategy
- Help define and measure the right metrics, KPIs, and data instrumentation of our products that inform action & continuous improvement through reporting, investigation and proactive research
- Partner with cross-functional teams worldwide from Product, Engineering, and Design using data to communicate insights & hypotheses for improving customer experience across all their touch points with Planet
- Collaborate with Product Managers, User Researchers, Designers & Engineers to design & run experiments that infer the impact of changes in product on customer experience
- Translate business requirements into data products (e.g. automated KPI reporting, demand forecasting, customer segmentation models, etc.) that play a critical role in enabling Planeteers to improve the customer experience
What You Bring:
- 3+ years of experience in analytical data science across data modeling & manipulation, formulating problems that can be solved by data products, defining metrics and measurement approaches, applying statistical methods and modeling techniques to decision making, and communicating with data visualization
- Development background using Python, R, SQL, Git, dbt and cloud-based platforms, like Google Cloud Platform or Amazon Web Services, to analyze data and/or build production data products
- Passion for Planet’s mission to use space to help life on Earth
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Professional and/or academic examples where you used data to influence decisions that generated measurable impact
- Masters or Ph.D. degree in a quantitative field
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Additional company winter holidays and regular global days off
- Remote friendly work environment and flexible working hours
- Contribution to our growth by offering equity options for employees
- Giving back to the community - one day per quarter for charitable work
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Regular hack-weeks and meetup events to exchange knowledge
- Home office budget
- Employee Resource Groups providing empowering spaces for connection and mentorship
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.
Something looks off?