Ground Systems Engineer
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
GROUND SYSTEMS ENGINEER
- Serve as the responsible engineer for one or multiple fluids ground systems including compressible, incompressible, and/or cryogenic fluid systems
- Use knowledge of heat transfer, thermodynamics, fluids dynamics, controls, and instrumentation to analyze, design and document new and existing production systems
- Manage interdisciplinary teams to design, build, activate, and maintain fluids engineering projects from requirements definition through obsolescence
- Identify, design, and implement fluids system upgrades, including changes to components, system, software, and process – driving continuous improvement
- Collaborate with and develop relationships with production/build teams to anticipate fluids system needs and provide recommendations on process design for manufacturability
- Work alongside and assist a skilled technician workforce in providing day-to-day ground systems support including testing, troubleshooting, maintenance, repair, and upgrades
- Provide expertise, insight, and recommendations on pressurized components and safe operation of pressure systems to multiple teams across the company
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical, chemical, aerospace, or another engineering discipline
- Experience with fluid dynamics, thermodynamics and/or process engineering
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Strong desire and ability to learn quickly, adapt and innovate
- Advanced degree in mechanical, aerospace or chemical engineering
- 5+ years of hands-on experience working with cryogenic fluid systems in a professional setting or outside the classroom project team
- Demonstrated expertise designing and operating fluid systems
- Experience using and troubleshooting control systems for remote operations and instrumentation feedback
- Experience testing and operating with or around hazardous systems (high pressure, high energy, hazardous gases & fluids, etc.)
- PLC programming experience – Siemens preferred
- Experience using CAD capability for 3D modeling (NX, SolidWorks)
- Able to work well in an integrated collaborative team environment including daily interactions with technicians, engineers, and managers
- Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure, fast paced environment
- Self-motivated and directed with keen attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to lead a multidisciplinary team of technicians and engineers
- Ability to lift 25 lbs. unassisted
- Ability to lift, stand, climb, bend, grasp, sit, pull, push, stoop, stretch, and carry are generally required to perform the functions of this position
- Able to work extended hours and weekends as needed
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Ground Systems Engineer /Level I: $100,000.00 - $120,000.00/per year
Ground Systems Engineer /Level II: $115,000.00 - $135,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Something looks off?