NDE Level III Specialist, Phased Array UT
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
NDE LEVEL III SPECIALIST, PHASED ARRAY UT
As a Level III Specialist at SpaceX you will be required to perform at a high level of leadership amongst a group of method specialists and engineers to interface across the business. Whilst this role is a permanent full-time roll at Starbase, TX you will be covering all SpaceX sites which employ NDE methods, including Vandenberg AFB, Cape Canaveral/Kennedy Space Center, and McGregor, TX. Travel is required up to 50% or more depending on mission needs.
The primary function of this role is to develop and deliver the best inspection solutions possible. The role must interface between the initial R&D, engineering, production and the wider build reliability teams to develop and select the appropriate technologies, specifications, processes, procedures and people to support targets and goals, such as increased probability of detection, reduced cycle time, right first-time manufacture/assembly, and indication/defect reduction. Principle technical understanding of a range of NDE methodologies and a wide industry knowledge of best practices, tools, equipment and procedures are needed to ensure we have the best possible solutions deployed to maintain compliance and ensure our launch vehicles maintain reliability and performance for our customers.
In addition, as the role fills and expands, an ability and willingness to perform inspection duties will be required until the L-II inspector teams are able to fulfill the bandwidth.
- Build relationships with cross-functional groups to understand mission needs
- Lead the on-site development for operational improvement and optimization at Starbase
- Technology Development:
- Systems & tooling selection
- Market research and investigation
- System testing and trials
- System evaluation and qualification including probability of detection studies
- Process Development:
- Method process documentation
- Part specific technique development, testing, qualification, documentation & deployment
- Engineering drawing interpretation and engineering specifications
- NDE Operations Technical Support:
- System level operations maintenance & support definition
- Production cell technical oversight: trouble shooting, complex problem solving
- Continuous improvement: method accuracy, process efficiency, reliability and speed
- Review and understand supplier issues, recommending appropriate actions
- Technician Qualification and Certification:
- Method training framework definition
- Class room training selection
- Written tests; practical exams; and administration of general & specific tests
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- Current ASNT or NAS 410 Level III certification in UT
- 5+ years of NDE experience at level II to NAS 410/ASNT standards in PAUT
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 2+ years of experience as NDE specialist or 3+ years of NDE experience at level III preferred to ASNT Level III standard
- 7+ years of experience in non-destructive testing/evaluation, engineering, production, and quality
- Experience with quality systems (ISO 9000/AS9100/NADCAP)
- Expertise interpreting 2D engineering drawings and model drawings
- Knowledge of AMS, AWS/ASME, ASTM etc.
- Problem solving tools and techniques: Practical Problem Solving, 8D etc.
- Basic computer skills: Microsoft office applications - Word, Power Point, Excel etc.
- Good written, oral, and presentation skills
- Knowledge of quality processes (approvals, quality planning, first article inspections, etc.)
- Experience in advanced NDE methods such as: phased array UT and full matrix capture, digital radiography, computed tomography, eddy array, etc.
- 5+ years of aerospace experience especially experience in the space launch business
- Degree in an engineering-related subject area
- Knowledge of NASA 5009 standards
- Position may involve long hours and weekend work as needed
- Ability to travel - 50% or greater work week travel is expected
- Ability to pass Air Force background checks for Cape Canaveral and Vandenberg
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
NDE Level III Specialist: $110,000.00 - $145,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Something looks off?