RF Communication Systems Engineer
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
RF COMMUNICATIONS SYSTEMS ENGINEER
The Avionics RF engineering team is responsible for communication systems and RF sensors on the new Starship launch vehicle – including lunar exploration. We design systems and architectures that enable new vehicle capabilities, and take the necessary components and products from concept to flight. Join our mission to take humans back to the lunar surface, ultimately enabling us to establish permanent communities on the Moon, Mars, and beyond.
- Perform analysis to support system architecture trades or verify the system design – including antenna pattern coverage, co-site interference, link budget, multiple access, etc.
- Conduct or participate in customer and/or program technical review or flight readiness presentations
- Lead and conduct troubleshooting and root cause system level performance anomalies
- Design and architect wireless systems for various aspects of launch vehicles
- Support RF system testing and demonstrations
- Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering or computer science
- 1+ years of experience designing, analyzing, or testing wireless communication systems
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master's degree in electrical engineering with focus on digital signal processing, or communication systems, or microwave engineering
- Experience with Python (or other language) programming for processing of antenna patterns or vehicle trajectories
- Experience with link budget analysis, power flux density, dilution of precision, doppler, etc.
- Experience with test equipment such as spectrum analyzer, signal generator, network analyzer, channel emulator, power meters, software-defined radios – and common RF passive components
- Experience with digital communication theory and testing, Bit Error Rate, EVM and System Noise Figure
- Previous experience with RF Design tools such ADS, AWR Microwave Office, CST, HFSS
- Competency in software development practices such as testing and continuous integration
- Experience performing interference analysis and EMI/EMC evaluation for RF systems
- Knowledge of digital communication systems including spread spectrum, forward error correction, and modulation types such as FSK, BPSK, QPSK, QAM, and PCM/FM
- Excellent communication and documentation skills, and ability to collaborate with other engineering disciplines
- Willing to work extended hours and weekends as needed to support critical milestones
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
RF Communication Systems Engineer/Level I: $120,000.00 - $145,000.00/per year
RF Communication Systems Engineer/Level II: $140,000.00 - $170,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Something looks off?