SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
The composites soft goods team produces a variety of insulation and thermal protection products (multi-layer insulation, thermal boots, blankets, sleeves, seals, straps, covers, etc.) for both the Falcon and Dragon programs. As a technician on the soft goods team, you will have the opportunity to develop a diverse skillset, from sewing and hardware installation to operating automated machinery.
- Prepare work to be accomplished by gathering and sorting materials and tools
- Handle a range of fabrics and materials with various properties, including felt, silicone rubber, Kevlar, wire mesh, woven ceramic fabric, foil, fiberglass, etc
- Cut materials from templates and patterns, either by hand or by operating an automated cutting table, to specified tolerances
- Follow written work instructions, perform basic shop math and measurements, and read engineering drawings to accurately assemble products
- Locate and punch holes through heavy materials
- Install hardware such as rivets, grommets, snaps, zippers, and fasteners
- Safely mix and apply two-part adhesives to bond, seal, and gapfill components
- Stitch components and materials by sewing machine or by hand sewing
- Adjust machine performance on material by observing machine operation, detecting malfunctions, and adjusting settings
- Maintain quality by inspecting raw material for flaws and finished product for nonconformances
- Document actions by completing production and quality logs
- Work with engineering and supervision to resolve assembly problems by altering dimensions to meet specifications and implementing process improvements
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- 1+ years of hands on work experience working in a manufacturing or production setting
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience as a seamster/seamstress/machinist in an industrial environment
- Experience creating and cutting different materials and fabrics
- Experience operating an automated cutting machine
- Experience in the automotive, aerospace or marine upholstery trades
- Must be able to stand for extended periods - 8 hours minimum
- Must be able to stoop, bend, crawl, and being able to maneuver in tight spaces
- Must be able to work all shifts, weekends, and overtime as needed
- Able to lift and carry up to 25 lbs. unassisted
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Soft Goods Technician/Level 1: $20.00 - $24.50/hour
Soft Goods Technician/Level 2: $23.00 - $29.00/hour
Soft Goods Technician/Level 3: $27.00 - $35.00/hour
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Something looks off?