Sr. Mechanical Engineer, Power Components (Starship Avionics)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SR. MECHANICAL ENGINEER, POWER COMPONENTS (STARSHIP AVIONICS)
The power components team is responsible for the design of high-performance electromechanical components for Starship. As a responsible engineer on the power components team, you will work with a multidisciplinary group of engineers to design, build, test, and fly: high-power/high-voltage batteries, power generation, power distribution, communications, and other electromechanical components for the Starship program.
- Serve as the responsible engineer and extreme owner for the design, analysis, fabrication, qualification, and flight operation of high-voltage batteries, power generation, power distribution, and other electromechanical components
- Perform in depth first principles analysis and FEA to assess and optimize designs
- Proficient use of computer-aided design (CAD), finite element analysis (FEA) tools, and hand calculations
- Lead important architecture trades at the component and vehicle sub-system levels. Develop design criteria where definition is lacking
- Hold design reviews internally, participate in reviews with suppliers and customers
- Drive technology improvements; work with engineers across the company to improve subsystems and vehicle architecture
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, aerospace engineering, math, engineering or scientific discipline
- 5+ years of professional experience with mechanical/electromechanical hardware design and analysis
- Experience with CAD and FEA software packages
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Extremely strong first-principles engineering fundamentals
- 3+ years of technical project leadership
- 10+ years of professional experience in mechanical design and analysis
- Demonstrated expertise in design, CAD, FEA, GD&T, defining test plans, designing test setups, and executing hardware environmental qualification tests
- Experience with one or more programming languages
- Domain knowledge including battery monitoring techniques, cell and pack failure modes and failure mitigation, high voltage safety
- Experience designing high-power electrical components (e.g. high voltage (100+V) batteries, motors, solar, or energy storage systems), or high-power radio-frequency (RF) mechanical components
- Excellent communicator with the ability to work well in an integrated team including daily interactions with technicians, engineers, managers, and suppliers
- Demonstrated understanding of structural analysis and failure modes of complex mechanical systems
- Hands-on experience with mechanism/structures design, prototyping, and precision mechanical assembly
- Must be willing to travel as needed to Starbase launch facility – Brownsville, TX
- Extended hours and weekend work may be required to support critical project and mission milestones
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Mechanical Engineer/Senior: $125,000.00 - $175,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Something looks off?