Metallurgical Engineer, Supply Chain (Dragon & Falcon)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today, SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
METALLURGICAL ENGINEER, SUPPLY CHAIN (DRAGON & FALCON)
This position will support our Dragon and Falcon program and requires a combination of proven leadership and technical capabilities. This is a highly technical position that requires practical experience in process engineering and new product development through to stabilized production for the metallurgical components and assemblies used in rockets and rocket engines. The ideal candidate will have a broad understanding of the machining and assembly of metallic components and associated processes with the desire and capability to take on new challenges in unfamiliar areas to help enable our mission to Mars.
- Act as the metallurgical point of contact for all purchased metallic raw materials and semi-finished products; mill products, castings, forgings, tubing, etc. used on our vehicles and engines, solving emergent challenges at suppliers and mitigating risk to the manifest by addressing high-impact manufacturing and quality challenges
- Work with procurement to find exceptional suppliers and vet them appropriately for quality and ability to meet our aggressive takt times
- Partner with suppliers to develop the capability to produce products unique to SpaceX, typically expanding their product line into new materials and/or processes
- Provide expert guidance on the resolution of non-conformances
- Drive the manufacturing development program, similar to PPAP, to ensure stable supply, reduce inspection oversight and improve overall delivery time
- Assure supplier understanding of product and submission requirements
- Develop and approve process controls to control critical characteristics
- Recommend technical product improvements to reduce risks to quality and delivery, and potential defect opportunities
- Review and assess supplier manufacturing processes and quality systems
- Provide feedback as appropriate on manufacturing methods and technologies
- Manage supplier improvement plans
- Improve quality performance of suppliers by conducting workshops at supplier locations, providing technical assistance in developing a quality system, or other technical support as required
- Function as liaison between purchasing, engineering, manufacturing and suppliers to resolve supplier quality issues and to provide technical support
- Demonstrate innovation, technical excellence, attention to detail, self-direction, and courage
- Drive for results and customer satisfaction
- Collaborate with teams, lead projects, and continuously drive improvement in the supply base
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering discipline
- 1+ years of experience with manufacturing or process engineering role (including school projects, clubs, or internships)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in metallurgical engineering or materials science & engineering
- Master’s degree in metallurgical engineering or materials science & engineering
- Broad familiarity with metallic mill products in the alloys and product forms used on our launch vehicle and engines
- Experience with tubing, castings and/or forgings is a plus
- Broad familiarity with the ancillary processes associated with the production of metallic parts, e.g., NDE, heat treatment, etc., is a plus
- Technical capabilities including knowledge of 2D blueprints and model drawings
- Knowledge of supplier quality processes; Production Part Approval Process, Advanced Product Quality Planning, First Article Inspection Reports, etc.
- Knowledge of statistical techniques and methods like design of experiments, Six Sigma, etc.
- Experience with Quality Systems (ISO 9000/TS/AS9100/NADCAP)
- Disciplined approach to problem solving - 8D
- Proficient in MS Office applications and report writing
- Knowledge of lean concepts
- Experience with sharing information and influencing others; strong written and verbal communication skills, able to liaise cross functionally, internally and externally, make presentations to team members and management
- Experience with MRP or ERP systems
- Must be able to travel - up to 60-85% work week travel may be required, including international travel
- Must be able to work extended hours and/or weekends as needed to meet major milestones
- This position is based in Hawthorne, CA and requires being onsite - remote work not considered
- Valid driver’s license mandatory
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Supply Chain Engineer/Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Supply Chain Engineer/Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Something looks off?