Electrical Engineer, Build Reliability (Starlink)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
ELECTRICAL ENGINEER, BUILD RELIBAILITY (STARLINK)
Starlink is Spacex’s ambitious goal to bring high quality internet to the globe by building a constellation of thousands of satellites in low earth orbit (LEO) using our Falcon 9 reusable rockets. We are developing millions of devices for end users to link our customers to our satellites. As a build reliability engineer on the Starlink team, you will be responsible for electrical hardware failure analysis, PCBA reliability, and quality of the PCBA production process. This is a high-visibility, hands-on role and engineers on this team are responsible for solving systemic production issues, running root cause of failures from end to end, and working to drive process changes for continually improving product quality. Engineers in this role are expected to become intimately familiar with the circuits, manufacturing processes, and test procedures for the designs they support.
- Drive root cause of PCBA production yield issues and prevent factory escapes of defective hardware
- Perform hands-on debugging to drive to root cause and corrective action of failed phased-array, Wi-Fi, and power supply PCBAs
- Develop test plans to validate PCBA long term reliability in order to meet mission profile
- Document failure modes and use data to continually improve quality
- Partner with design, software, test, and manufacturing engineering teams to improve yield, processes, test coverage, quality, and reliability
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline
- 1+ years’ experience working with digital or mixed-signal designs, using oscilloscopes, digital multimeters, power supplies, and/or soldering equipment (includes internships and school projects)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 1+ years’ experience in consumer electronics or similar industry
- Experience troubleshooting electronics hardware and/or RF communication systems
- Familiarity with programming and automation/scripting languages or ability to quickly learn them (i.e. Python, C++, SQL)
- Experience with PCBA manufacturing processes and assembly such as SMT reflow, wave solder, and selective solder
- Experience with environmental testing (i.e. thermal cycling, burn-in) and reliability calculators (i.e. Arrhenius, coffin-mason)
- Proficiency at understanding PCB schematics and layout tools
- Experience with Wi-Fi standards (802.11ax, 802.11ac, 802.11n)
- Experience with engineering projects in any one or more of the following areas: CPU/FPGA/ASIC circuit boards, linux, high speed interfaces, memories, and/or low power platforms
- Experience with Mentor Graphics Xpedition
- Experience presenting findings to engineering, production, and supply chain teams on a regular basis to drive corrective action
- Experience in a fast-paced, iterative design environment within the consumer electronics, mobile handset, medical devices, aerospace, marine or automotive industries
- Self-motivated with strong multi-tasking, organizational, communication and documentation skills
- Must be willing to work long hours and weekends as needed
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Build Reliability Engineer/Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Build Reliability Engineer/Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Something looks off?