Structures Technician (Composites)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
STRUCTURES TECHNICIAN (COMPOSITES)
- Trim and finish composite and composite metallic assemblies
- Assemble structures including setup, bonding and fastener applications
- Surface prep, using grit blast, hand abrade and power abrasion techniques
- Repair composite defects
- Use tooling holes, pilot holes, or by hand (as required), per drawing or tooling instructions
- Align parts and secure in place using clecos or tooling/hand clamps
- Check for good edge margins and alignment
- Select drill bits, reamers and/or countersinking tools for pilot and full size holes
- Drill, ream, countersink full size holes in parts/assemblies, in proper sequence and to correct size using drill motor
- Set countersinking tools to proper depth as required
- Disassemble parts and deburr holes using chip chasers, deburring tools, and files to prepare for installation of fasteners
- Load and unload ovens to bond detail parts to assemblies
- Handle and dispose of hazardous materials in approved manner
- Determine and obtain correct type and size fasteners
- Cold work holes to prepare for close tolerance fastener installation
- Install bushings into housings using arbor press and/or hydraulic puller
- Apply liquid nitrogen to facilitate installation of bushings
- Install fasteners in correct sequence per drawing, using correct tools (e.g., rivet gun and bucking bar, drill motor, power screwdriver, C-squeeze, ratchet wrench, nut runner)
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- 1+ years of experience using hands tools in the aerospace, manufacturing, marine or automotive industry
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience with reaming, honing and/or countersinking of uniform close tolerance holes in proper sequence while using the correct tool for the job (e.g., rivet gun and bucking bar, drill motor, power screwdriver, "C" squeeze, ratchet wrench, nut runner)
- Experience reading and interpreting engineering drawings, an understanding for drawing symbols, flag notes and general notes
- Experience working with composites
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions, read SOPs (standard operating procedures)
- Attention to detail and accuracy while working within a fast-paced production environment
- Standing for long periods of time, climbing up and down ladders, bending, grasping, sitting, pulling, pushing, stooping, and stretching are generally required to perform the functions of this position
- Able to lift and carry up to 25lbs. unassisted
- Able to climb ladders and work in tight spaces
- Willing to work all required shift hours, overtime and weekends as needed
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Structures Technician /Level 1: $20.00 - $27.00/hour
Structures Technician /Level 2: $25.00 - $32.50/hour
Structures Technician /Level 3: $30.00 - $38.00/hour
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.