Pipe Welder (Starship)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
PIPE WELDER (STARSHIP)
We are currently seeking individuals to fill a welder position at our Starship launch site. This position requires skill in a specialized trade in order to complete welding requirements and operational needs. The position is responsible for welding piping, structural steel and other facility equipment/infrastructure.
- Complete welding assignments and procedures for construction and repair of all site structural stands on time, safely, and in a professional manner
- Cut, trim, or scarf metal objects, fit and fabricate metal components to dimensions for building and assembling test site structural forms
- Under supervision of lead welder, analyze engineering drawings and specifications to plan welding operations where procedural information is unavailable
- Utilize hand welding and flame-cutting equipment to weld together metal components and parts to assemble structural forms
- Visually inspect own welds per AWS D1.1 and ASME B31.3 (normal and high pressure service) with proper training
- Obtain and maintain internal licenses, operator permits or certifications as required
- Make a continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly
- Perform other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring an efficient and effective work environment
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- 1+ years of experience with TIG (GTAW) welding per ASME B31.3 normal and high pressure service applications
- 1+ years of experience working in a process piping environment, using various measurement and verification tools (laser level/projector, transit, plumb line, spirit level, inclinometer, etc.) to dimension and build piping runs to/from and around fixed objects
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 5+ years of experience using SMAW, GMAW, FCAW, oxy acetylene, fitting, arc gouging and electronic welding equipment related to the trade
- General mechanical skills in concrete, machining, and alignment/setting
- Knowledge of welding techniques, metallurgy, AWS/ASME codes, and engineering requirements
- Experience with standard tools, materials, motions, and practices of the welding trade
- Knowledge in ferrous and non-ferrous metals in relation to welding and brazing
- Knowledge in occupational hazards and effective safety precautions of the trade
- Knowledge in arc air procedures and equipment
- Experience with precision measuring instruments
- Ability to rapidly change roles and responsibilities while working in a high-paced, challenging work environment
- Ability to perform job duties that require standing, kneeling, crouching, twisting upper body, and lifting up to 35 lbs. unassisted
- Ability to perform job duties in confined spaces
- Ability to work at elevated heights (up to 120 feet)
- Ability to work on ladders/lifts at elevated heights (up to 300 feet)
- Typically exposed to work in extreme outdoor environments – heat, cold, rain
- Work performed in an environment requiring exposure to fumes, odors, and noise
- Must be available for all shifts (day shift, 6 AM - 6 PM or night shift, 6 PM - 6 AM), overtime and weekends as the schedule varies depending on site operational needs; flexibility is required
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.