RF Engineer (Starshield)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
RF ENGINEER (STARSHIELD)
Starshield leverages SpaceX’s Starlink technology and launch capability to support national security efforts. While Starlink is designed for consumer and commercial use, Starshield is designed for government use, with an initial focus on earth observation, communications, and hosted payloads. As an RF engineer on the Starshield team, you will be working on advanced development programs in support of US National Security. You will work with a team of fellow RF engineers, DSP engineers, software engineers, hardware engineers and end users to design and build RF capabilities for proliferated communications and remote sensing in low earth orbit. You will work in a highly collaborative and fast-paced environment, where we are exploring unsolved problems and applying the SpaceX mindset of iterating rapidly to go from design and demo to operational capability at lightning pace.
- Drive program-level decisions on RF system designs
- Research novel solutions for unique large-scale satellite RF systems
- Work in close collaboration with hardware, FPGA, DSP, and software engineers to design and validate RF systems
- Responsible for development and full life cycle support of RF hardware spanning PCBA board testing and defect detection, full functional testing of an assembled unit, and resolving on-orbit vehicle anomalies
- Create electromagnetic simulation models of hardware (antennas, filters, PCB layout) to design and evaluate performance
- Modify electrical schematics and mechanical drawings for flight applications as they relate to reliability and manufacturability
- Bachelor’s degree in computer engineering, or electrical engineering
- 1+ years of experience RF engineering
- Experience with modeling/analysis tools/software such as HFSS, CST, ADS, MATLAB, C/C++, and/or Python
- Experience with RF test equipment such as VNA, spectrum analyzer, etc
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in electrical engineering with emphasis in microwave/RF engineering
- 1+ years of professional experience in a relevant field
- Experience modeling RF and channel impairments such as multipath, phase noise, group delay, fading and nonlinear distortion
- Experience designing RF systems including radio astronomy, SIGINT, ELINT, radar, or wireless communications
- Experience with basic principles of antenna theory
- Experience with software-defined radios and frameworks, such as GNU Radio
- Understanding of link budgets and analysis related to communications and remote sensing systems
- Active Top Secret or Top Secret SCI clearance, or ability to obtain one desired but not required
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
RF Engineer/Level I: $120,000.00 - $145,000.00/per year
RF Engineer/Level II: $140,000.00 - $170,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Something looks off?