Tooling Maintenance Technician
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
TOOLING MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN
- Perform preventative and corrective maintenance on all custom SpaceX tooling
- Inspect and create detailed analysis and assessment of precision tools and machines per engineering requirements
- Maintain and repair the most advanced structures and machines in the world, such as our custom friction stir welding machines
- Plan work to be performed and determine methods and sequence of operations working from tool design drawings or our own designs
- Lay-out, fabricate, and assemble a variety of standard and nonstandard major jigs, fixtures, tool masters, master tooling gauges and related tooling involving compound angles and complex contours where the establishment and coordination to exacting tolerances of numerous dimensional features and reference points between several planes
- Develop and design holding devices and jig and fixture details
- Suggest changes in design involving practicability, economy and process of manufacture to proper personnel
- Make determinations regarding fabrication and design of detail parts such as fittings, stops, locating pins and mechanical operation of jigs and submits them for approval to proper personnel
- Set up and operate optical instruments to check overall and detailed alignment, fit, or adjustment of assemblies
- Set up on surface table jigs and fixtures involving complex contours, compound angles and requiring the coordination of drill holes and location of critical points with reference to stations, butt and/or water lines
- Use complex tool design drawings and complex engineering blueprints
- Utilize model-based metrology and design software as applicable per design requirements
- Operate various types of machine shop equipment (manual) to complete assignment as required
- Identify key areas of improvement in our system and communicate these effectively to management
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- 1+ years of experience using precision measuring tools (calipers, micrometers, etc.)
- 1+ years of experience using GD&T pertaining to flight parts and or tooling assemblies
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Associate’s or technical degree
- An industry recognized expert in precision construction
- Demonstrated success at accomplishing challenging projects
- Proficient computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite
- 5+ years of experience with model-based metrology
- Ability to understand reference systems & how to create them
- Highly experienced in the interpretation of complex blueprints including: ability to identify and understand specifications, thorough understanding of GD&T (Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing), and ability to comprehend sections and views
- Experience with laser tracker/articulated arm/coordinate measuring machine, all bench inspection equipment
- Experience and proficiency in Siemen’s NX, model-based, design software
- Experience and proficiency in Verisurf, model-based, metrology software
- Must be able to work all required shift hours, overtime and weekends, as needed
- Ability to lift up to 25lbs.
- Lifting, standing, climbing, bending, grasping, sitting, pulling, pushing, stooping, stretching, and carrying are generally required to perform the functions of this position
- Ability to work while standing on lifts and ladders
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Tooling Maintenance Technician /Level 1: $23.00 - $31.00/hour
Tooling Maintenance Technician /Level 2: $28.00 - $37.00/hour
Tooling Maintenance Technician /Level 3: $33.00 - $43.00/hour
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status. Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Something looks off?